Is there any reason to bed a rifle that is shooting well enough?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bigeclipse, Jun 26, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. mpayne

mpayne Well-Known Member

I say leave it alone, if you do bed it and it shoots worse that's on you and you will be buying your wife a new $400 dollar stock! Then you'll ask yourself why couldn't I leave well enough alone!

CO_Guy likes this.
  2. tripdad

tripdad Member

Leave ut alone if you are satisfied with it. Remember also savage actions are sensitive about the torque of the actoin screw so if it ever starts shooting worse check them, they like it just right, doesnt hurt to play with them and find out the one it likes best so you know.

3. foul bore

foul bore Well-Known Member

Have you ever done a 77 Ruger, that is hard

4. Darren Russett

Darren Russett New Member

I re-barreled a tang safety Ruger m77 about 19 years ago...removed the shot out .280 barrel and replaced with a Shilen 26” .264 blank then chambered it for 6.5-06.
    Got 3/4” groups right off the bat with the 139 gr Hornady at 100 yards! After playing with the loads a little they dropped to around 1/2” or less and I’ve been shooting the same load every since then. I had the same quandary about bedding, but it shot so good I left it alone and it has never even had a scope adjustment in all that time!
    I say leave it until you have issues!!!

CO_Guy likes this.
  5. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies almost all the time in my opinion.

Dosh likes this.
  6. therifleman556

therifleman556 Well-Known Member

Hardest thing about Savage is the barrel nut. A little modeling clay is your friend. Smooth nut Savage is pretty easy. Try bedding an SMLE, that's a pain...

Dosh, Mustang72 and Tidus56 like this.
  7. tailbon3

tailbon3 Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!!!

8. freddiej

freddiej Well-Known Member

shooting sub 1/2" groups without bedding will be more than sufficient to shoot deer at 400 yards. I have had these kinds of guns come into my shop and they wanted them bedded. I told them they might not see much more accuracy out of the rifle. they asked me to proceed anyway. I did an action only bed. I left the barrel and barrel nut unbeded. I would do a action only bedding job on your rifle if you can't leave it alone. that means bed the recoil lug, the front of the action where the action screw is, and the back action screw. that will make sure 90% of your action stays stable and without stress. bed the gun without the scope in the scope rings to insure a better bedding job, them lap the rings when you are done.

Greyfox and foul bore like this.
  9. spindrift307

spindrift307 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but I’d bed the rifle no matter if it’s shooting or not. This is good common practice and just eliminates any room for error when moving forward. Can’t hurt and may make the gun shoot even better than it already is.

A little J.B. weld epoxy and Johnson floor wax will get it done much cheaper than having it sent off.

10. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

I bed every rifle I own period. Having said that I truly believe for your needs it is unnecessary. You will not be shooting far enough to worry and it seems to be shooting under half minute. If you start to see point of impact changes I would bed it for sure.

11. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Yes I've bedded about a dozen. They look difficult with pillars being the hardest, but not as tough as the Savage.

12. If you start to see accuracy go away bed it. Otherwise let er rip

13. Bigeclipse

Bigeclipse Well-Known Member

Yes I always use go and no go gauges. Savage rebarrels are very easy in my opinion. This was not my first and wont be my last :)

14. Alibiiv

Alibiiv Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I do Ruger 77 tang safety rifles all the time. Every time I do one it is better than the last one. My next challenge is to pillar bed the stock, both front and rear screws. I've bought the pillars from Brownells, now have to make a fixture to drill the clearance holes for the pillars.

As for the OP I have mixed feelings on whether to bed or not to bed it?? I've never had one shoot worse after it was bedded and the barrel floated; but.....I've never owned a Savage either. I also liked the reply about torquing all the action screws properly and also playing with the torque settings to get better groups. The Rugers are really touchy when it comes to torque and action screws. Tighten up the screw on the Recoil lug to 95 inch pounds and pretty much hand tight on the trigger guard screws; and....this does work.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019