Where/how can I get 6.5-06 brass

Alibiiv as others have suggested I am shooting Lapua 30-06 brass for mine currently on about 4 firings still holding up well. The only thing I would suggest is I went to 6.5 from 30 in one step and I ended up with 86 out of 100 I will definitely use a 2 step method next time.

I have found long term that Lapua is the cheapest brass to use when you add how long it lasts and the number of culls etc compared to win and rem brass. Norma is pretty good as well. I have some 260 rem Lapua brass that is on ten firings.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

I own almost all of the 06 class, but no longer own a 280. So I have to deal with 30-06, 270, 2 - 6.6-06 and 2 - 25-06 reloaded ammo. So far it's not been an issue.

As for 6.5-06 brass; I use 270 Hornady in my match grade barrel. I've tested the brass neck thickness between Horady 25-06 and 270, I was surprised they were the same. It appears those two calibers are made off the same "shell" just head stamped different.

L sherm you are right 30/06 brass nedked down to 6.5 will be longer than 63 mm because the excess brass will have to go somewhere and usually it extends the neck. that is why I use 270 brass trimmed .5mm shorter or 62.5 instead of 63 mm after trimming. I will get longer when you fire.. as for 25/06 brass it will get a bit shorter when fireing, but very little because from257 to 263 is so close it will not matter..

any and all my AI's have my smith cut my dies the same time chamber/throat etc are done- only way to go. Using L E WILSON straight die blanks. Also get enough of the same brass to last a life time . Hunting guns I'll get between 2-300 rounds My supply of FA 60 Match 06 brass is getting thin now, but still have enough too make it, don't shoot as much as I used too.

Last edited:
I use .25-06, .270, & 30-06 brass. With the .270 & .30-06 I start with a .270 F/L die with no expander button. The next step is to lube inside necks with graphite lock lube then size with a 6.5-06 die with expander. I then turn necks to .288 OD followed by trim to spec length & chamfer. For .25-06, lube inside neck with graphite then size brass with 6.5-06 F/L die with expander, turn necks to .288, trim & chamfer. I have had best results with .270 brass. I think lubing inside necks helps to prevent neck run out caused by dragging neck over expander that might be off axis in die. I don't use an expander button after neck turning to .288. Brush the crud out of the inner necks with a spinning bronze bore brush in a cordless.

I have heard that customs inspections in some places require the ammo head stamp match the rifle caliber marked on the barrel. This would be the only reason to go with Quality 6.5-06 brass.

am still using FA 06 Match 60 brass , but now would go to 25-06 get good quality brass ( all same batch ) brass and load and fireform that way- why go to all the trouble neck turning. you shooting AI version or straight 25-06 chamber SAM Specs ? I have been shooting my Parker AI since the 60's in 25-06 AI, 6 mm-06 AI, I would only turn brass now to get the high spots, no more turning , my 222 & 6PPC is enough.
If Peterson is turning out 25-06 brass I would get there brass, Lapua does not as far as I know. What about Nosler ?

FYI
I recently obtained correct headstamped 6.5mm-06 brass from Quality Cartridge. Midway also has it as a limited run. They haven't had it for years. Many countries insist that headstamped ammo matches gun chambering in order to bring you gun into their boarders.

there are a number of brass companies that turn out custom brass- as long as one is willing to cover the $$$$$$$ it does get expensive, but you get the headstamp !!!!!! you are after. Just off the top of my head you have these : hope it helps or NO stamp if you order it
ADG ATLAS DEVELOPMENT GROUP
RCC CUSTOM MADE BRASS