Where do you shoot this elk?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by The Oregonian, Oct 1, 2018.

1. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

Using 195’s out of a 28 Nosler...I have never been on a bull elk hunt and never used Bergers on game but have a hunt in a couple of weeks. For front / back, I think just behind the 2, a little forward of halfway between the 2 and the 5, and for vertical probably the bottom of the 2 and 5. Goal is to have most margin for error, and if I hit exactly where I am aiming i obviously want a lethal shot.

Where do you aim and why?

Many thanks.

0750B91C-169A-4023-BF41-82E431ABBAD3.jpeg

lancetkenyon likes this.
  2. eklarsen

eklarsen Well-Known Member

6 if you wanted DRT

tbrice23 likes this.
  3. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Not saying I am right. But myself, would aim for the bottom of the 5. My thinking would be is that gives me the biggest margin for error and still have a lethal shot. Don't have any experience with the nosler 28 and 195. But have used the 215 and it will put them down quick. Now where did you find a bull accommodating enough to let you paint numbers on him LoL ? Good luck and have a great time

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

That's the "money shot" especially with a Berger.

5. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

All the above (and then some) would probably best describe the last several Bergers I put in one. To the right a bit from #5, to the left of #5, 2 straight up the ole “Ace” hole, and the last high up on #7 if he were going straight away from ya. Keep shooting they say...good grief!

Attached Files:

rfurman24 likes this.
  6. Tidus56

Tidus56 Well-Known Member

4. I shoot 4 regardless if its a bullet or arrow and they fall right down. Good luck!

7. DENWA

DENWA Well-Known Member

ugh. 7. Based on my cow elk in Pennsylvania/ Kudu, Blue and Black Wildebeest experiences in SA.

Have a bowl full of beautifully mushroomed .308 and .375 Accubonds from the 4-5-6 shot regions many from the same animals that didn't do the job that a single 270 with cheap ammo did at #7 from my PH.

8. GSP814

GSP814 Well-Known Member

Between 2 and 5!

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Ditto!

[​IMG]

10. Wolf76

Wolf76 Well-Known Member

2,5,1,4 all work for me. Like previously mentioned, between 2 and 5 is ideal. Big margin of error in that area.

HARPERC and RockyMtnMT like this.
  11. walter crouse

walter crouse Active Member

Looks like #4

12. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Well-Known Member

3 and 6 are spine shots. That will get you drt (drop right there, not dead right there) But is easy to miss and a cruel shot, as its not a fast death. 1245 are all vital shots and right in the middle of them would have a good margin of error. 7 leaves plenty or room to screw up. I am assuming a longer shot where wind and conditions may come into play.

My advise with the 195 is to stay out of the shoulder blade and aim for heart/lungs. And inspect the points on those bullets well. Make sure none are closed or clogged.

GERDES G, Cuz and RockyMtnMT like this.
  13. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

Congrats on your PA elk tag. I have been trying since they started.
    After not drawing this year I have 15 points.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    DENWA and Ingwe like this.
  14. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

Whatever distance and whatever equipment....
    To the right side of number 1.....as the shoulder blade is forward and the leg bones are clear for a wide open shot to the heart and everything else...the elk shows a slight quarter away also opening the area....
    Now if it's long range....you better hope you hit somewhere between the numbers.....

Hearties, Lionheart and Tidus56 like this.