When will I ever learn

Iron Worker

For my predator/varmint rifle I put a 8x32x50mm Black D iamond on it. Dangit 8 power is too much.Now I'm going to have to buy a new rifle,feel free to send donations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Maybe I have had too much champagne with dinner but that is too funny. I am sure your new gun will be a Weatherby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To go back to another conversation about prescription glasses we had. I was over on 6mm benchrest reading about this guy who shoots Palma 1000yds with iron sights and I really couldn't believe the group size he can get. Anyway buried in the article is a statement that he wears the Decot prescription glasses. They must be really good.

I cant do this good with a scope

[ QUOTE ]
I do not shoot a lens in either sight, but I do use prescription glasses from Decot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ironworker, How close are you shooting? I use an old 10X Leupold on my varmint rig. Do you shoot with both eyes open? Lots of folks close their left eye, so you lose a lot of direction orientation. Shoot with both eyes open, and I think you'll find 8X is OK. Just my experience.

What torture are you talking about!"Shoot with Both eyes open"!!!!!Oh know i need to now learn to write with my left hand.I've heard of that.When your target shooting do you shoot with both open?Last hunting I drew a pack in with my Fox Pro. I think they busted me right away. They ran up a Hill I bet 250 to 300YDS. I had a teriable time locating one. I aimed right on(It was an upward angle shot) I gave him a chest shave he turned on his afterburrners and vanished!.So with two eyes I could've lessened the Difficulty, is that right? "Never Stop Learning" by LAW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Interesting reading stuff. I'd like a Weatherby Pradator Master rifle. Its just there're so pricy! I've heard you still need to get stuff done to those rifles. Why not just buy a coustom?

Iron Worker, If you are having problems at 250 yds with an 8X scope, lowering the power is not going to help much. First thing I would do is check out my stock fit. Your rifle must point where you are looking without fussing with it. Close your eyes and throw up your rifle when pointing at something downrange. I'll bet that you are pointing either high or low because your rifles pull length is off. And yes, you do shoot targets with both eyes open if you are trained in that method. By looking with your left eye, you will get on the target faster. Your scope is also in your vision, but with practice, you will be much faster, especially on running shots where you need to swing and follow thru. You can practice indoors after you get your rifle fitting correctly. Look at a point on the wall and keeping your eyes fixed on the spot, throw up your rifle. The scope should appear in your vision. Check to make sure you didn't close you eye accidently. Also, did you ever check which eye is your master eye. Many people are right handed with a left master eye. If you are not using your master eye, it makes it very difficult to point at something and then acquire it in your scope. If you are shooting with the wrong eye, it does require some adjustments.

My son is right handed and left eye dominate. The only way we (my Dad and myself) could get him to shooting good is to put a patch over his left eye, and then he doesn't have the trouble of his left eye trying to take over. On the other hand my Dad is left handed and right eye dominate. When we were pistol shooting he had to learn to shoot right handed, but with long guns he dosn't have any trouble shooting left handed.

And I thought I was the only one; who was screwed up! When I write with a pen, I always use my left hand. When I write larger, say on a blackboard, I almost always use my right hand. I prefer to shoot right handed, but in a pinch can shoot left handed as well. As far as the eye thing, I can make good shots with both eyes open, but can't see any difference in one way or the other. Bet this makes you guys feel much more normal!

Nighthunter264wm, Regardless of how you shoot better, everyone has a "master" eye. That eye looks straight ahead and the other eye turns into the sight path and is what tells you how far away it is (depth perception). If you shoot using the non-master eye, you are getting a reference that is not where the target really is. I see this a lot when teaching kids archery. They are right handed with a left master eye and can't understand why they can't hit the center of the target. You do need to either close or patch off a master eye if you are shooting with a non-master (better to patch off if using open sights). I use the hole in the paper method for kids since it is fool proof and easy to use. Take a piece of paper and put a small hole in the center. Hold it and arms length looking with both eyes thru the hole at an object downrange. Then slowly draw the paper to your nose. Just shortly before getting to your nose (depending on how large the hole is), the paper will shift to the master eye. When you touch your nose with the paper, only your master eye will show. FYI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My son had the same problem being right eye dominate and left handed, try a Eyeblind www.eyeblindllc.com the thing folds out of the way when not in use and is very inexpensive I only use it for target shooting or when I'm after sage rats. It actually helps you concentrate on the target better. You can put elevation and windage adjustment info on the blinder for quick reference.

If you are using a scope, there is no disadvantage in terms of sight picture clarity to keeing your dominant eye closed if you are wrong side dominant. Unfortunately, most scope users close their off eye anyway! When shooting with a pistol and/or rifle with open sights, it helps your vision to keep both eyes open. Shutting one eye can cause a distortion on the retina since light is better balanced with two eyes open (even if one eye is blanked off). That is why pistol shooters especially use a blanking device on their off eye. The advantage of shooting with two eyes open with a scope is that you can find & follow running targets better (more like a scout set-up). This two eye open approach is critical if you shoot a scoped handgun. Without the rifle stock which gives you some direction in pointing, a handgun when raised even in a two handed hold lacks the line to the target and if one eye is closed, ultimate tunnel vision of the scope is seen. With practice, anyone except a wrong master eye shooter can learn to shoot a scope with both eyes open. It does take work to retrain the brain. I had to relearn this technique, and if my old brain can relearn, most folks can too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Very good subject here for me.

I have shared this with friends of mine that are shooters / hunters and they are incredulous ! That is my changing eyes or should I say my changing " master" eye /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Yup! , when I was younger my right eye was dominant and I am right handed . I used all the tests to determine dominance way back when I was getting interested in long range shooting and reloading( almost 4 decades ago , /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif sheesh , sounds like I should be a 100 or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Some how it has changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I can no longer shoot a pistol, like I did back then ( won some good matches ) unless I blank my left eye .

While watching some does the other day at about 400 ( it was a Swaro lasered 337 but hey ! 400 sounds much better eh ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) I noticed that I could leave both eyes open and see both the magnified view(right eye ) as well as the unmag view ( left eye ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I know thats crazy , however it is true ! As long as I didn't get involved in the process I could see both views , big and little . I hesitated to post this but I haven't done any acid since the 70's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and only once then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif No , really, has anyone else seen/done this ?

Jim Brown

When I was young I built myself lots of little bows and arrows and would run around shooting anything that moved and some stuff that didn't. End result was that I taught myself to shot a bow left handed when I am a right handed right eyed person. Later in life I bought left hand bows and had to use sight pins and then my weak left eye suddenly had to function. That was when I discovered the powers of concentration. By little more than will power and long, long hours of practice over several decades I can switch eye dominance at will. Of course being prone to stupidity I sometimes forget to switch and the results are hilariuos.

About 10 years ago (at age 47) my eyesight quit deteriorating and actually started improving. By the time I am dead I won't need glasses any more. Both near sight and far sight are improving. My left eye is improving more than my right eye.

The amount of time it takes my eyes to focus is still bad and the amount of time it takes my brain to translate a new view is getting worse. Reaction time is based upon your eyes picking up an image and sending it to the brain and somewhere something has slowed down. Maybe I just need some fresh batteries.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.