When to install muzzle break?

curtis

I have a .300 WM barrel that I'm going to use as a switch barrel on my Savage 110FP. I want to install a muscle break on this barrel. Do I need to have the barrel installed on the rifle before I have the muzzle break installed? I'm worried about where the barrel will end up when twisted onto the receiver. If the muzzle break is intalled before I put the barrel on the rifle, I'm afraid the muzzle break may end up sideways or something.

Is this a valid concern?

Thanks,

Curtis

Curtis, I have several switch barrels with Musclebrakes. The barrel needs to be installed on the receiver first. Mark top dead center on the both ends of the barrel. Remove barrel and install Musclebrake using the mark as a reference, then reinstall the barrel. Mine work great. Gary Campbell

Thank you so much Gary. This is what I assumed but I wanted to make sure. I really appreciate your help. Do you still get great accuracy when you switch between barrels?

Curtis,

Gary is correct, however, that depends on the muzzle brake you are going to use, Vais, Quiet, and other radial muzzle brakes (port holes all around) does not require indexing, thus can be installed onto the barrel without receiver installation first.

Not my muzzle brake preference but an option, there are many happy end users out there though.

Anyways, going back to your original question, the best time to install muzzle brake is to have it done ready for you to enjoy when you get home safely. :D

Watch your six and thanks again for your service to our great nation. Cheers!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.