When to give up on a barrel?

Here is my dilemma. I purchased a new fierce carbon fury 28 nos this spring.
I like the rifle but it will not keep 5 shot groups to the .5 minute min. that They guarentee.
After talking to them I sent it back for them to go over and shoot.
They only guarantee a 3 shot .5 group which they did. I was hoping they would replace the barrel but they wouldn't because it shot 3 into .5. They were using factory nosler 160 gr accubonds. Nothing I could do at that point, it met their guarantee.
My problem is it is basically impossible to find the loaded ammo they used or the bullets.
I have a friend that does a lot of reloading and shooting and is very good at it. We have shot lots of different kinds and weights of bullets, including hammers, 169 and 155 hh. The thing is this rifle is inconsistent as heck. Sometimes the fliers are 4th and 5th shot and then be the complete opposite or anywhere in between.

The barrel is always cooled between shots and have used 3 different scopes and checked to make sure everything is tight.

On top of that now we are getting bolt clicks with adg brass that's been loaded several times. From the research I've done the bolt click issue is from the chamber being a little smaller and the Redding sizer die is able to resize enough to eliminate the bolt click problem.
Fierce and Christiansen chamber their Rifles smaller to gain accuracy from factory ammo which kinda leaves reloaders at a disadvantage.

I'm thinking of giving up an rebarreling with a proof research and starting over.
I need input on which way to go on this.
I would be ok with .75 or even 1moa but can't get the consistency to get it.
My Gunsmith in Spring, Texas had a "package" where he would "accurize" your rifle and develope a load for you. He would give you a box of ammo and the recipe, or if you want, continue making the ammo for you! I do not know what the wait time is

I talked with a tech at redding and he said they don't have 28nos small base dies.
They can do custom dies but he stated they are about 1 1/2 to 2 years out.

Check Bullet Central. They have some dies that seem to a better job on the PRCs and maybe they have a 28 NOS die.

Check Bullet Central. They have some dies that seem to a better job on the PRCs and maybe they have a 28 NOS die.

Yes they do, that might just work. I will have to contact them and see if they can solve this problem. Thank you sir for that link!

I looked for small base dies and came to the conclusion that short of custom those dies are not made.
If anyone has info to where to get small base dies I would like to find one. Thanks
PVA was also making a push through die for sizing the base of the case, not sure if they still make it. I wanted to try one but solved the problem in the rifle I was working with using a body die from another cartridge.

You could use a small base die from any of the RUM cartridges as well. I used a regular body die from my 338 edge on my 26N brass as it gave me a 3 thou smaller base dia. At least until I polished the chamber a bit and cleaned up the tolerance issue.
I was wondering if that might be another route. Thanks for that info. Did you have bolt clicking issue also?

This thread reminds me of some of my past experiences, which started many years back. 30-35 years ago I would buy a Weatherby. It came with a test target which in some cases was a ragged hole with Wby ammo. I could reload a get close but never match test targets. But I didn't put any extra effort into it.

I'm pretty much a Shilen barrel guy now.

If I had to chase a test target again. I'd do what someone mentioned above. I'd try to match as many as the components as I knew. Then try to match velocity of whatever factory round they test targeted with.

I going to retire end of Jan. I may try to dig some of those test targets out if I still have them. Knock the dust off some of those old Wbys and see how close I can get.

Riverguy
We down under have tried several carbon wrapped barrels and have found that all of them have done the same thing
We are commercial hunters and we also shoot F Class out to 1500 metres so we are use to all the perameters that should fix the problem however what we have found is similar to having your stock touching your barrel therefore we feel that the dissimilar materials wrapped around the barrel is effecting the harmonics

Here is my dilemma. I purchased a new fierce carbon fury 28 nos this spring.
I like the rifle but it will not keep 5 shot groups to the .5 minute min. that They guarentee.
After talking to them I sent it back for them to go over and shoot.
They only guarantee a 3 shot .5 group which they did. I was hoping they would replace the barrel but they wouldn't because it shot 3 into .5. They were using factory nosler 160 gr accubonds. Nothing I could do at that point, it met their guarantee.
My problem is it is basically impossible to find the loaded ammo they used or the bullets.
I have a friend that does a lot of reloading and shooting and is very good at it. We have shot lots of different kinds and weights of bullets, including hammers, 169 and 155 hh. The thing is this rifle is inconsistent as heck. Sometimes the fliers are 4th and 5th shot and then be the complete opposite or anywhere in between.

The barrel is always cooled between shots and have used 3 different scopes and checked to make sure everything is tight.

On top of that now we are getting bolt clicks with adg brass that's been loaded several times. From the research I've done the bolt click issue is from the chamber being a little smaller and the Redding sizer die is able to resize enough to eliminate the bolt click problem.
Fierce and Christiansen chamber their Rifles smaller to gain accuracy from factory ammo which kinda leaves reloaders at a disadvantage.

I'm thinking of giving up an rebarreling with a proof research and starting over.
I need input on which way to go on this.
I would be ok with .75 or even 1moa but can't get the consistency to get it.
If it's a hunting rifle why are you worrying about 5 shot groups?

No insult but this is a mistake many of us have made including myself.

In the field a first shot in two follow ups are about all you're ever likely to get on a single came animal.

When do I give up? When I can't a get a decent 3 shot group out of a hunting rifle.