When is it not considered an entry level Optic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 48126

Trying to figure out all these **** scopes. Rifles seem so much easier....

I watch a ton of videos and read a ton of articles and after every good review on an Optic it's always caveated with "great scope for entry level" or replace entry with budget, new shooter, etc...

Ive seen that statement on $1500 plus class optics. I feel like that's the safe phrase if an Optic disappoints. What's everyone else opionions? I think I need to stop reading and watching so much.

I think I need to stop reading and watching so much.
/\ /\ /\
This...

I just went way out of my budget on a SWFA SS at $440.00 shipped for a 3x15 42mm.

I know $200.00 (bought used) SWFA 16X fixed is rock solid for dialing up shots. I've never read a disappointing review on one...these scopes were originally spec'd for our military. Looks like one of the few times they didn't dump millions for a Towle seat type deal.

Good enough for our GI's...good enough for me!

Guys with deep pockets spend the big bucks...

Good question! Made me think.

I carry a lot of prejudices toward some brands, based on experiences from a few decades ago. The truth is a lot of things have improved since then, and some brands have better scopes, and larger line ups than in that period. Seeing crosshairs disappear, and adjustments that didn't, leaves impressions.

I'd define entry level as a scope priced reasonably enough that you're not sacrificing other pieces of your long range kit.

It stops being entry level when it won't do what you're asking of it anymore.

A lot of the time unnecessarily. I wasted money on four Swarovski z5 only to discover their quality from one to the next is very inconsistent. Great weight, though.

Ugh that sucks...I guess price tag isn't everything.

CaptnC, I just traded for a SWFA 3x15x42, FFP, MIL. It's going on a custom long range AR in .223/5.56. I'm excited to get it.

Would SWFA be entry level? Is entry level solely based on price tag? I looked at the primary arms platinum series and they are $1600 scopes and all the reviews were great entry level scopes! Am I the only long range shooter who's not a millionaire? Lol

LOL...join the club!

I truly enjoy my guns and shooting...I'm without a doubt a red neck with too many guns, but spending $400.00 on my SWFA 3x15 SS scope is huge at my house. I could never see myself buying one for more.

Regardless if it's entry or pro level if a $400.00 scope has the repeatability needed for long range shooting. I fine with that...leaves me with more money to buy parts for more guns!

On another sight I used to offer to buy any Tasco World Class 4-16X40 if some one bought one and didn't like it. I did that because back in the day I never had a problem with one; until a couple times in low light. I used Tasco Trajectory 4-16X40 and 6-24X40. They were as reliable as anything I used.

So for me an entry level scope is a Tasco World Class. Now I have three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and one Nightforce 5.5-22X56. I still have a like new Tasco 3-9X40 I'm saving for anyone who has a kid who needs a scope and can afford one. I will even include the rings that fit 3/8"clamp on. Send private message.

If a scope can perform in the environment and parameters you need it to, it is sufficient and functional, all else (price) is irrelevant.

That's a great point, barrelnut! If the scope performs, then who cares.

Rich, that's a nice offer. I would post it in the optics section and see who would take it. I'm sure it'll help someone out.

For me, I started with 250$ scopes that actually work, and inched my way up to a SHV and a XTR2 as my most expensive right now. One thing I notice is, once I got these optics I'll never be satisfied. Features and keeping up with the new stuff and prestige drive these sales. But in the end, all anybody really needs is clear enough glass to see, and reliable tracking. This is all accomplished with a 300$ Super Sniper.

I was poking shots at a gong the other day at 500 meters and could see the gong just fine (SWFA 3x15). Just then, a ground squirrel ran up the berm by the target. Target look good. Ground squirrel looked hazy. Could have been the focus and I didn't have time to mess with it. Point being, the scope was great at shooting at a gong sized thing but possibly not as great at a ground squirrel sized thing at that range. That is still to be determined but "entry level" means nothing. If a tool does what you need it to do, then it's the right tool, regardless of price or lipstick. If a tool breaks or is otherwise malfunctioning, that's not entry level either. It's just junk.

@gohring3006

So I actually just did this. I got 2 x Burris XTRs for about $850 a piece and I couldn't be happier. They are really nice scopes. They retail anywhere from $1100-$1400 though. I was watching reviews on them on youtube and everyone said, minus snipers hide, Entry level or good for the beginner shooter. Snipers hide's host review was like 45 seconds long. He was like hey this is the Burris XTRII, all you need to know is that it works and it has good glass, don't be a scope snob. That was literally his review and that's what got me thinking about what is really considered a budget Optic.

@Mike 338 i got a SWFA, 3-15x42 MIL/MIL/FFP for my custom AR in.223. I have no doubt in my mind that it will perform easily out to 600 yards. I'm excited to get it going. It and the XTRII are very beefy scopes. I really like the heft and feel of them.

@gohring3006

So I actually just did this. I got 2 x Burris XTRs for about $850 a piece and I couldn't be happier. They are really nice scopes. They retail anywhere from $1100-$1400 though. I was watching reviews on them on youtube and everyone said, minus snipers hide, said Entry level. Snipers hide's host review was like 45 seconds long. He was like hey this is the Burris XTRII, all you need to know is that it works and it has good glass, don't be a scope snob. That was literally his review and that's what got me thinking about what is really considered a budget Optic.

@Mike 338 i got a SWFA, 3-15x42 MIL/MIL/FFP for my custom AR in.223. I have no doubt in my mind that it will perform easily out to 600 yards. I'm excited to get it going. It and the XTRII are very beefy scopes. I really like the heft and feel of them.
@gohring3006

So I actually just did this. I got 2 x Burris XTRs for about $850 a piece and I couldn't be happier. They are really nice scopes. They retail anywhere from $1100-$1400 though. I was watching reviews on them on youtube and everyone said, minus snipers hide, Entry level or good for the beginner shooter. Snipers hide's host review was like 45 seconds long. He was like hey this is the Burris XTRII, all you need to know is that it works and it has good glass, don't be a scope snob. That was literally his review and that's what got me thinking about what is really considered a budget Optic.

Don't worry to much about the Burris reviews. They are mostly from the older 8mil turret models. Burris also owns the factory where these are made. So they take feedback and make changes quickly. The new XTR 2s Are way better than the old ones.

Don't worry to much about the Burris reviews. They are mostly from the older 8mil turret models. Burris also owns the factory where these are made. So they take feedback and make changes quickly. The new XTR 2s Are way better than the old ones.

Yeah I have 2 x XTRIIs. Both MIL/MIL. They feel so **** solid. Everything from the turret clicks, to the eye piece, the magnification ring. I feel like I can throw them off a roof and they will still work.

I really like the reticles too. One is the GB2 reticle the other is the SCR. I like the GB2 Better since it's so simple. That SWFA reticle is genius, though. If I became a dictator, my first order of business is to make all scope reticles like the SWFA. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.