When is it not considered an entry level Optic?

• Thread starter Deleted member 48126
  • Start date
I was one of the mentioned above "optics snobs" for some time. I went to my first long range shooting course at FTW ranch and found most of my hunting equipment lacking. There was a guy in my class named George Gardner with GA precision (didn't know him from Adam). He let me get behind his then new Bushnell 3.5-21..I was impressed. I would not have ever dreamed 3 of 5 of my long range guns have a bushnell product resting on top by choice. While not "cheap-inexpensive--what ever adjective you decide to use" they dial reliable and glass is very good--not as good as some of my sworviski or meopta stuff but passable for shooting long range. I also have 2 Leupold LRPs they too for the money offer a lot of bang for the bucks spent. SWFA scopes a rock solid and have a 10x mounted on a rifle. I have zero problems with them. I just had a friend complete a LR course with a bushnell engage and he had zero problems going from 100-800 yards...it tracked perfect and preformed great over 150 shot course of fire.

@gohring3006

So I actually just did this. I got 2 x Burris XTRs for about $850 a piece and I couldn't be happier. They are really nice scopes. They retail anywhere from $1100-$1400 though. I was watching reviews on them on youtube and everyone said, minus snipers hide, Entry level or good for the beginner shooter. Snipers hide's host review was like 45 seconds long. He was like hey this is the Burris XTRII, all you need to know is that it works and it has good glass, don't be a scope snob. That was literally his review and that's what got me thinking about what is really considered a budget Optic.

@Mike 338 i got a SWFA, 3-15x42 MIL/MIL/FFP for my custom AR in.223. I have no doubt in my mind that it will perform easily out to 600 yards. I'm excited to get it going. It and the XTRII are very beefy scopes. I really like the heft and feel of them.

Saw a review on Long Range Only where a fixed SWFA 10x (non-HD) was getting used "way out there". Can't remember exactly how far but beyond 1300. I'm gonna have to come up with some redneck zero stop though. Probably just a thin piece of athletic tape that shows up better than the white line. I remember when scopes wouldn't adjust at all and I swear, sometimes they'd adjust the wrong way or they'd fog up without any abuse to them whatsoever. Can't believe how good some scopes are these days.

I was one of the mentioned above "optics snobs" for some time. I went to my first long range shooting course at FTW ranch and found most of my hunting equipment lacking. There was a guy in my class named George Gardner with GA precision (didn't know him from Adam). He let me get behind his then new Bushnell 3.5-21..I was impressed. I would not have ever dreamed 3 of 5 of my long range guns have a bushnell product resting on top by choice. While not "cheap-inexpensive--what ever adjective you decide to use" they dial reliable and glass is very good--not as good as some of my sworviski or meopta stuff but passable for shooting long range. I also have 2 Leupold LRPs they too for the money offer a lot of bang for the bucks spent. SWFA scopes a rock solid and have a 10x mounted on a rifle. I have zero problems with them. I just had a friend complete a LR course with a bushnell engage and he had zero problems going from 100-800 yards...it tracked perfect and preformed great over 150 shot course of fire.

Ha ha, when you mentioned scope snobs, Bushnell was the first one I though of. Although I don't have one, from what I've heard, they're great. A far cry from days of yore.

What happens is people compare the walmart Bushnell hunter series 3-9x40 to the Bushnell LRS and still think they are all the same. Bushnell like any scope company offers a huge array of scopes by varying degree. I have some pretty Rifle smart hunting buddies who saw the Bushnell LRS on another guys rifle, and they thought he was crazy. They didn't realize it was a top tier, $1600 Optic, that put their leupold VXI to shame.

I think Bushnell needs a rebranding because I know they make good stuff, but I always think of the Walmart scope in the plastic.

@Mike 338 SWFA zero stop kit.

Product:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Zero-stop-shim-sets-for-SWFA-Super-Sniper-scopes-/332456420372

Instructions:

Thanks for the link on the zero stop. I will be ordering a couple.

This past weekend I spun the dials on my Millet 4x16 50mm SF SFP scope. I know is a low end scope, but the scope is heavy and I would like to believe that means it has decent parts inside.

One guy commented "if you can't hit anything with it, take it off and beat them to death!" It feels solid in your hand when you handle it.

Any HOOOooo...dope said 2 mils, I dialed and hit right under the cross hairs at 600 yards.

I've got two and a buddy has two...all 4 have been great so far.

That said I have stepped up to the 3x15 42mm SWFA SF SFP...new, it was only $400.00 shipped. I have a 16x fixed already and it's been great too.

Manufacturing processes have changed over the years for the better. Burris is now owned by the same company that owns Steiner. Burris has benefited from this. I too have an XTR ii and love it (4 - 20 X 50). Have engaged targets to 1100 yds with no issues. Glass is clear, turrets are repeatable and seem to be spot on. I really can't see myself spending more for a scope. I have some Nikon scopes as well and they have performed well for their intended purpose.

It is my opinion that once you get to a certain level of quality, that next jump in perceived quality can be very expensive for what you get in return. My basis for choosing is:
1) What do I really need in a scope?
2) What extras do I want?
3) What will provide my needs and most of my wants for a reasonable price?
4) Given my budget, which do I think is my best choice?

I know a guy that can take his Tasco 4x, verify 100 yd zero, dial up and hit a target at 1000 yds, then dial back down and reconfirm his 100 yd zero. Now this is not benchrest accuracy at 1000 yds, but is good enough that he could hit a deer if he "had to". His point is that it is easy to get caught up in the latest/best gear, but ability/knowledge is more important.

FWIW

Entry level to me in the LR world is a scope that dials true, repeatable and functionable. You start finding scopes like this is the $500-$700 range thus the title "entry". As you go up in price functions get better, but the main thing you are paying for is glass quality. Wether the price is worth while is up to the individual.

I started at the "entry" level scopes and the more I shot I saw the need/want for better and moved that direction. It's worth the extra coin to me but maybe not to someone else.

To everyone who commented thanks for your input and feedback. I think I even got a PM about a YouTube review on legit, cheap optics. Hopefully it will help guys pick decent optics that aren't nightforce beasts or SB PMI IIs

Last edited by a moderator:
On another sight I used to offer to buy any Tasco World Class 4-16X40 if some one bought one and didn't like it. I did that because back in the day I never had a problem with one; until a couple times in low light. I used Tasco Trajectory 4-16X40 and 6-24X40. They were as reliable as anything I used.

So for me an entry level scope is a Tasco World Class. Now I have three Bushnell 6500 4 1/2-30X50 and one Nightforce 5.5-22X56. I still have a like new Tasco 3-9X40 I'm saving for anyone who has a kid who needs a scope and can afford one. I will even include the rings that fit 3/8"clamp on. Send private message.
I had not one but two leupold 3-9s fog up on the inside for me back in the late 70s or early 80s on my 30-06. Ended up buying the 4-16X40 Tasco World class rangefinder scope with the different ballistic tubes, and it is still on my 30-06, won't part with it. I used the rangefinder in it the last day one year in PA , you had to turn the power up or down to get the deer between to horizontal crosshairs to range the animal. The range may not have been accurate but it was on with the clicks, that last day I killed a buck that was 557 yards away. I shot two shots and hit him both times right behind the shoulder. The scope said 600 yards, a later check with a Bushnell 1000 yard range finder confirmed the distance at 557 yards. Nothing ever has gone wrong with that scope, the objective lens has a few spider webs on it from the thousands of times it has been wiped off over the years but are unnoticeable when looking through it. Its served me very well, it has actually put probably over a ton of venison in the freezer over the years.

Ha ha, when you mentioned scope snobs, Bushnell was the first one I though of. Although I don't have one, from what I've heard, they're great. A far cry from days of yore.
You can make a 0stop with the white plumbers wshers. Get your zero remove the turret adn place the washers under itto the rev line your using.Plenty of stuff about it on the optics talk at swfa. I plan to do the same thing on another brand

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.