When do you stop chasing accuracy?

The difference in a quarter minute gunna and a half minute gun at 800 yards is going to fall into the realm of white noise. Trust me. Statistically speaking of hitting a 6" plate in normal conditions is pretty similar between the two. I still am not happy personally until the groups are under 1/3 moa. But that's just me. It's probably not giving me any real world advantage at 800 on game.

Quality Hunting Bullet not a target bullet or re-labeled target bullet now a "hunting" bullet close to max velocity. Hunting Rifles .75" and I put some effort into getting to .5". Varmint Rifles and practice rifles .5" or less and I don't really care what bullet it is. 22LR with cheap bulk ammo .75" @50yds and good ammo .5" or less. I am not buying $10 a box 22LR ammo.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
That's pretty much where I stop load development and will practice shooting at the distances I plan on harvesting from.

I'm always chasing the best accuracy too. When after numerous load combinations are tried, you'll have to settle for the best combination at sometime before you wear out the barrel. My main point is doing load development at 100 yards for a long range rifle is a waste of time. You will not see vertical dispersion at 100 which is what you want to tune out of. Shoot minimum 200 yards, 300 is better.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
IMO you already are better than 90% of the the hunting community but ….

If you want that last bit of blood from the turnip you may find as I did moving to Lapua
Brass was the key for me

Prepping every case with a dry lubed neck and a tin coated mandrel is a plus as well

I was lucky to find 2 cases of Lapua brass so I'm set. Here is 9 shots past the lab radar

Attachments

• A2C8164B-FCB8-4532-B28D-D09C558A01D1.jpeg
    A2C8164B-FCB8-4532-B28D-D09C558A01D1.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 75
With component availability what it is, I'm minimizing the number of shots to finalize my hunting load in a 6.5 PRC. Whatever group size turns out will limit the distance I will shoot at game. I'd love to chase sub .5 moa, but I need enough loads to practice and hunt.

I always strive to attain the smallest group possible. I know as you do also that shooting from the bench getting. 25 nosler will not happen in the field. The tighter I tune my groups at the bench the better I will shoot under field conditions. I've always felt like I owed it to whatever game I pursued.

The standard is 1" groups at 300, 3" groups at 500 consistently in perfect conditions. If your load won't do that keep tuning .

Are you shooting in hunting positions? Shooting a light gun in real hunting conditions I would be happy with .5 moa at 100 consistently. It could be shooting .25-.33 and you are just not able to. Not saying this is the case but potentially. I also believe making the "prefect" wind call while hunting at 800-1000yds is rare and the difference between .25 and .5 could help you just as hurt you. Some people are more OCD than others so if you feel confident at .5 call it good and practice in different conditions. If not keep working on it until you are confident or it isn't worth it to you anymore.

The difference in a quarter minute gunna and a half minute gun at 800 yards is going to fall into the realm of white noise. Trust me. Statistically speaking of hitting a 6" plate in normal conditions is pretty similar between the two.
This does not track with reality.

A 6" plate at 800yds is essentially .7 MOA. A half moa rifle would leave roughly .15 MOA on either side of the group if that group were fired dead center plate. A 1/4 MOA rifle would leave twice that.

Running mils at 800, the delta between a 10mph wind and a 11mph wind is a tenth of a mil commonly. That's .35 MOA. So, if you're off on your wind call by 1mph with a 1/4 MOA rifle, you still have a fair chance of hitting the target. With a 1/2 MOA rifle, your chances are massively worse. Then there's the reality that only the best of us can call wind under 1mph. Even fewer can do it at 800.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

This does not track with reality.

A 6" plate at 800yds is essentially .7 MOA. A half moa rifle would leave roughly .15 MOA on either side of the group if that group were fired dead center plate. A 1/4 MOA rifle would leave twice that.

Running mils at 800, the delta between a 10mph wind and a 11mph wind is a tenth of a mil commonly. That's .35 MOA. So, if you're off on your wind call by 1mph with a 1/4 MOA rifle, you still have a fair chance of hitting the target. With a 1/2 MOA rifle, your chances are massively worse. Then there's the reality that only the best of us can call wind under 1mph. Even fewer can do it at 800.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Or the wind shifts as you're pulling the trigger or there is a wind gust etc. Lots of variables beyond your control.

You just made his point. The diff between a .25 and .5 rifle is the same as being off 10% on your wind call - a very likely occurrance. Plus 1/2 the time the error in the .5 rifle will compensate for your wind error.

You just made his point. The diff between a .25 and .5 rifle is the same as being off 10% on your wind call - a very likely occurrance. Plus 1/2 the time the error in the .5 rifle will compensate for your wind error.
The difference is, one still has a good chance of hitting... the other DOESN'T.