When do you stop chasing accuracy?

800 is a clip. IF you can shoot .6 MOA at 800 yards on every day, every condition, every position, after you are dehydrated, hungry and shaking from the climb, blah, blah, blah...you get it. Other than practice time, the load it is the only thing you can control so to speak.
If you are a wind ninja .6 is very good.

I too think you are in a good place, however, I get a load that stacks and then move onto another bullet 🤣

I want a forgiving load that holds together hot/cold, warm weather/cold weather, etc. etc..Most all my finish work with a load is done at 200 yards. With my LR hunters andPRS/competition rifles at this distance I'm looking for 3-5 shot groups minimum of .75" (.36MOA), with SD's in the <10 range. I will stay on top of my rifles to make sure this level of performance is maintained. It also checks "my" level as well. Might sound like overkill to some but going on 12+ years with this standard, for me, the end justifies the means. IMO.

Last edited:
Shoot groups from every field position out to intended yardage and then…go hunting. My dad makes the mistake of chasing mostly unattainable accuracy most of the year but then has a hard time shooting from any position other than off the bench or truck:) field shooting skills, stable rifle setup, and target acquisition in challenging conditions are more valuable as a hunter than another .25 moa imho…if you have time, money, ample supply knock yourself out but don't spin out. 4-5" at 800 should be bang flop!

I just completed load development on a Ruger American youth with a 16" barrel (will be starting deer rifle for grandkids). Pretty certain they will never shoot past 200 yards at that age.....so 1 MOA is plenty good for this particular situation IMHO.

All that to say....what is 'good enough' depends upon the intended use. If 800 yards is your goal, and you want your shots to land within a 6" circle kill zone, then 1/2 MOA should meet your situational requirements?

People can succinctly be divided into two categories in life. The first group are those that are always searching for more refinement, knowledge, experience, and performance. The second group are those that work twice as hard trying to convince themselves and everyone else that they don't need anything the first group wants. The more successful they are at convincing everyone else, the more content they can be with their own choices and laziness. They too look outside themselves for validation. It's just that they want validation for their lack of ambition.

@startrek1761d When you are asking in a public space a question like yours, you are dangerously close to slipping into the second group. Those in the first group don't ask for validation, because they know no one else can give it to them. No one here can be justified to answer a question like the one you're asking. It's a question based entirely on perception. There are those that happily go deer hunting with a rifle that will barely hold 5" at 100yds. Then there are those that won't go unless they can hit a soda can at 500yds every time the rifle is fired. Who is to say one is wrong and the other is not? Granted, your qualifier of 800yds on big game provides some context... and it could be argued that .5 to .6 MOA is adequate in perfect conditions. If conditions are not perfect, and you are not experienced shooting in field positions and field conditions, then it could also be argued that you want all the latitude for error in your shot as you can possibly get. Once you realize the difference between .2 MOA and .6 MOA in regard to your real world performance on a deer vital zone at 800yds, you'll be able to answer your own question quickly. Then if you shrink the target size and perform the exercise again, you'll see very plainly when .6 MOA stops working.

This is a topic that arises frequently, as I spend much of my day mentoring shooters. Nothing in life is meant to be treated with finality. Discovery is made by those trying to solve problems which everyone in "group two" have deemed unsolvable or not worth solving. They say things like "good enough" and "works for me" often.

I fall into group one. Always searching, always working, and always refusing to accept that there isn't some better way to solve the problem. Despite that, I too have to decide when I have something shooting to "my standard." Presently, that is sub-1/4 MOA for at least 75% of my shots fired, and sub-1/3 MOA for 100% of shots fired. Though no one else can define that standard for me, just like no one else can define it for you. The decision to not let anyone else define it is very important.

In short, if you're happy... be happy. If you aren't, search until you are and ignore group two.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

I want a forgiving load that holds together hot/cold, warm weather/cold weather, etc. etc..Most all my finish work with a load is done at 200 yards. With my LR hunters andPRS/competition rifles at this distance I'm looking for 3-5 shot groups minimum of .75" (.36MOA), with SD's in the <10 range. I will stay on top of my rifles to make sure this level of performance is maintained. It also checks "my" level as well. Might sound like overkill to some but going on 12+ years with this standard, for me, the end justifies the means. IMO.
This ^ is the standard and process you want to aspire to.
Also, shooting 0.6 moa at 100 doesn't guarantee shooting 0.6 moa at 800. Let's just say that would be difficult.
To consistently kill critters at 800 yards I would be more confident if I start with better than 3/4 moa.

I stop when the purpose of the rifle is achieved. Another words I don't fine tune a 100 yard whitetail gun if it's ballpark moa. I don't fine tune a steel ringer past 1/2moa if it's only going to 1000. If I competed or had a bench rest gun I'd be fine tuning down to tenths of a grain and messing with seating depth/neck tension. As it is, my guns do fine in .5 grain increments until it's good enough or I hit pressure.

I have a Tikka T3X Veil in 6.5 PRC, I am loading 143 ELD-X not because I particularly care for them but that's what shoots so far. I am using RL26, Nosler blem brass and Fed 210M primers. If I have not had much coffee, it shoots .5 to .6 at 100. My intent is to use it for whitetail to 800 yards. My longest shot so far is 519 yards with a 257 weatherby. Is there any point looking for another 1/4" of accuracy since I will be shooting off a bipod in field conditions?
.25 MOA gets me out to the neccessary F.P.E. accuracy for both my cartridges, .308 WIN & 300 WM. 900yds & 1472 yds. respectfully I can live with.