What's your Beer goggles rifle?

Did you buy it at Dick's back before they became anti 2nd amendment? That rifle sounds familiar. They sold one just like that with a cheap plastic camo stock. I always had my eye on them but never bought one. It was one of many regrets from not buying a rifle before it went out of production which could be a whole other thread.
Hi Jim, That is exactly where it came from, and they were probably at least moderately anti 2A at the time of the purchase I think after my experience there. My son showed me the sale ad from the paper, I told him we could go check it out. When we got there the lowerposteriororifice at the counter didn't want to take if off the rack, either I wanted it or I didn't and they weren't in the habit of letting untrained people handle FIREARMSSSSS..... This guy is the manager.... Then he didn't want me to pick it up, he wanted me to eyeball it laying on the counter. Well that wasn't going to happen, and he relented while giving me a safety lecture that was total BS to be kind. It has the whatever fancy name trigger that was later recalled?, and I wanted to see what the factory pull was like, he went on a tirade about how no gun EVER was going to have the trigger lock removed while it was in the store and if I needed to test it I didn't know what I was doing etc. My son was 10 or 11 at the time and was with me, thankfully. Setting an example for my son overcame my younger self at the time, I really wanted to not set a good example. This was in the top 2, maybe the worst, interaction I have ever had as a customer, gun transactions are usually totally enjoyable and I have NEVER seen anything like it before or since.. I was red and ready to leave, I said I will take it. The rifle went in the back room and came back out in the box taped shut in at least 16 places and he set the box on the counter, which I promptly cut open before said lowerposteriororifice could stop me, he freaked out and I said kinda firmly 'I and you BOTH need to verify the serial number for the 4473 dumbxxx' which backed him up a step and he proceeded to try to remove the bolt and didn't know how, so I took it out and gave it to him and he trotted it to the back room. After the background cleared he took the box back in the back room and came back out with it re-taped in 16 places and new tape in 8 or 10 new places, and he carried it to the check out and out the door. And that my friends, was the last time I ever went in a Dick's (appropriately named store). Why I didn't just turn around walk out as soon as that counter guy opened his mouth I don't know, it's not like me at all and the only thing I can think of is that my son was really excited to go check out some rifles. After I shot the rifle I looked for a 243 for years in the resale market, never did find one and I would still like to have one. A few years later I saw the same rifles in Cabela's and Bass Pro flyers at basically the same prices, and I almost bought a 223 but I never found one within a few hundred miles in 243. The very nice gun people at Cabela's said corporate will order however many thousands, usually around this time of year now that I think about it, and each store gets a shipment or 3 of them. When they are gone they are gone and they can't bring one in from another store because they are a promo item. Maybe now that Remington is going again we will see them show up in stores again.

Hi Jim, That is exactly where it came from, and they were probably at least moderately anti 2A at the time of the purchase I think after my experience there. My son showed me the sale ad from the paper, I told him we could go check it out. When we got there the lowerposteriororifice at the counter didn't want to take if off the rack, either I wanted it or I didn't and they weren't in the habit of letting untrained people handle FIREARMSSSSS..... This guy is the manager.... Then he didn't want me to pick it up, he wanted me to eyeball it laying on the counter. Well that wasn't going to happen, and he relented while giving me a safety lecture that was total BS to be kind. It has the whatever fancy name trigger that was later recalled?, and I wanted to see what the factory pull was like, he went on a tirade about how no gun EVER was going to have the trigger lock removed while it was in the store and if I needed to test it I didn't know what I was doing etc. My son was 10 or 11 at the time and was with me, thankfully. Setting an example for my son overcame my younger self at the time, I really wanted to not set a good example. This was in the top 2, maybe the worst, interaction I have ever had as a customer, gun transactions are usually totally enjoyable and I have NEVER seen anything like it before or since.. I was red and ready to leave, I said I will take it. The rifle went in the back room and came back out in the box taped shut in at least 16 places and he set the box on the counter, which I promptly cut open before said lowerposteriororifice could stop me, he freaked out and I said kinda firmly 'I and you BOTH need to verify the serial number for the 4473 dumbxxx' which backed him up a step and he proceeded to try to remove the bolt and didn't know how, so I took it out and gave it to him and he trotted it to the back room. After the background cleared he took the box back in the back room and came back out with it re-taped in 16 places and new tape in 8 or 10 new places, and he carried it to the check out and out the door. And that my friends, was the last time I ever went in a Dick's (appropriately named store). Why I didn't just turn around walk out as soon as that counter guy opened his mouth I don't know, it's not like me at all and the only thing I can think of is that my son was really excited to go check out some rifles. After I shot the rifle I looked for a 243 for years in the resale market, never did find one and I would still like to have one. A few years later I saw the same rifles in Cabela's and Bass Pro flyers at basically the same prices, and I almost bought a 223 but I never found one within a few hundred miles in 243. The very nice gun people at Cabela's said corporate will order however many thousands, usually around this time of year now that I think about it, and each store gets a shipment or 3 of them. When they are gone they are gone and they can't bring one in from another store because they are a promo item. Maybe now that Remington is going again we will see them show up in stores again.
The guy had probably never been around guns and knew nothing about them. He probably knew allot about tennis and running shoes so why not put him over the gun department.

As for remington producing those 700's that is a discussion for another thread but all the big box stores had special contracts with remington to build them specific rem 700's which is why you never saw those exact models to those exact specifications listed on the remington website. Only time will tell if remington will go back to doing that again or not. I am kind of doubtful which kind of sucks because you could buy a rem 700 at a big box store cheaper than you could buy a 700 action. Dicks had several different models, walmart had one, as did Academy. I imagine Bass Pro and cabelas had their own model as well. Walmart had a clearance on theirs for $250 and I got a 243. Wish I had bought everyone they had in stock. I came back later that same day and all of them were gone. I took the barrel off and installed a remage 308 barrel I bought off of ebay for $50 myself just to prove I could do it. Someone converted a factory rem 700 30-06 to a remage 308. I was a little worried at first but it shoots great and is my current go to deer rifle. I guess thats my beer goggles rifle.

Last edited:
I have a savage 10 in .243 win with a 7 twist shilen light Palma barrel, bedded into a Boyd's laminate stock and topped with a Bushnell engage 4-16x44 scope. I screwed it together in my garage and certainly won't win beauty contests. But….. it shoots 105 Berger VLDs into .2"-.3" at 2994fps with boring consistency.