What's yer .308 rifle?

Litehiker

Yeah, .308 Win. isn't a long range rifle but a lot of folks have them.

When I lived in western Pennsylvania my favorite deer rifle was a Savage 99 C in .308.

I still have it and am getting it rebarreled with a 20 inch octagon barrel and a Wenig laminated stock with classic cheekpiece. It will be the "big brother" to my Ruger 96/22 WMR lever gun, also with octagonal barrel and Wenig matching stock.

My long range rifles?
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win mag
Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoore

...and a Rem. actioned, HS Precision barreled and stocked .300 Win mag target rifle.

When I lived in western Pennsylvania my favorite deer rifle was a Savage 99 C in .308.

I still have it and am getting it rebarreled with a 20 inch octagon barrel and a Wenig laminated stock with classic cheekpiece. It will be the "big brother" to my Ruger 96/22 WMR lever gun, also with octagonal barrel and Wenig matching stock.

My long range rifles?

...and a Rem. actioned, HS Precision barreled and stocked .300 Win mag target rifle.

Who says .308 isn't long range? The current .30cal sniper record is over 1400yds and is held by a U.S. Army sniper using an M24 chambered in .308 Winchester. I have also witnessed my cousins and my Dad drop deer, ground hogs, and even a raccoon from varying ranges between 200yd-800yds! All of them confirmed kills using mostly 168gr Hornady A-MAXs and a Hornady 168 BTHP was used to take the raccoon and on all of the groundhogs my Dad have taken were with Sierra 168s. So the .308 is a very capable long range round.

I personally do not own one but most of my family has one and I consider it one of the greatest rounds of all time, but I have everything covered for now so don't need one. My Dad has an XM25 .308 and a Remington 700 Varmint Special. My brother has a first year production Model 88 Winchester he deer hunts with in .308, both of my cousins who we always hunt and shoot with have .308s. One of them has a stainless Model 700 in .308 and the other a heavy barreled Marlin X7VH in .308 WIN. The only one that is not used for long range is the Model 88 Winchester, other than that, they all have range cards to at least 700yds! gun)

Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" .308 Win. 11.25" twist, with old-style trigger swap and tune, and retorqued action screws to 65 in lbs. All 100% Remington parts. Not bedded & factory floated. Shoots 1 ragged hole groups with handloads with 210 Berger VLD's.

I don't hunt with it, just a range toy.

Last edited:
LH Remington 700 VS. Shot sub 1/2 MOA out of the box with match ammo. It shows a distinct preference for the 175's over the 168's and Black Hills over FGMM. Haven't done anything to it but mount a scope. I don't use it for hunting. I shoot it in F-T/R matches.

Mine is a Savage 10 FLCPK. Shown here in an XLR Element chassis, with the AAC suppressor and a Bushnell Tactical Elite 4.5-30X50, but it now hosts a NF NXS 3.5-15X50 on a NF 20 MOA rail and Ultralite rings.

It shoots Hornady 168 BTHP's over 43.5gr of RL 15 down to .4 MOA out to 300 yards. Haven't had a chance to take to 1K yet, but plan to this fall. Taking it hunting tomorrow for white tails, nothing but 150 yard shots at this place though.

Mine is a Remington 700P with 26" factory barrel. The only thing I have done to it is change out the trigger for a Timney. It shoot 175 SMK 1/4 mow @ 200 yds with 42.5 grs. of Varget.

Jason

My long range rifles?

I picked up the same gun, the ruger american predator in 6.5 creedmoor awhile back and have yet to shoot it. The stock seems extremely flimsy and the only two indepth reviews on these new rifles show they have accuracy issues from the stock. Have you shot it off a bipod? This seems to be the only way to shoot them accurately and repeatedly by preloading the bipod. Im going to be dropping mine into a boyds stock to fix this issue. Also are you running the factory recommended torque values or have noticed a better torque value?

As far as 308 rifles ive sold almost all of mine except one. My previous 308s included many bolt actions from remington 700 actions to howas and tikkas. Gas guns were the lmt mws and a frankenbuild ar10.

The only remaining 308 is my savage 10 psr. Its a LE edition special run that i see for sale here and there now but still few and far between. Its sitting at 1.5lb factory trigger in a choate tactical stock. This is a very good tack driver. I use it for both target shooting amd hunting and absolutely love it even though i know it loses big time to the 6.5 creedmoor. Off the top of my head without looking at my dope charts its something like 12 mils at 1000 vs 8 mils at the same distance with my 6.5. Up to around 500-600 its only a 1mil difference and then it opens wide up.

It's quite obvious that there are lots of folks that don't have a clue what the .308 Winchester cartridge is capable of using the right bullet and load at extended ranges!lightbulb

sRem 700 action, Benchmark 26" bull barrel, Timney trigger, Manners T4-A stock, Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP scope

Shoots as good as 0.15" @100 and .4 moa @ 300. I am not good enough at 1000 to post those results ;-) but I expect the gun is very capable despite me.

308_side_1.jpg

Remington 5R with 24in barrel... break, calvin ellite trigger, tubbs speed lock, Vortex pst It shots the 168 smk over 4064 real well. I like this rifle so much my next purchase is going to be the 300 win 26 inch barrel. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.