What's the difference

Cmrem700

What is the difference between a trued rem 700 action ( everything except the bolt race way) about a $250.00 job one that has the bolt race way reamed out with a ptg bolt? $450.00 job? I have a rem action but having second thoughts about using it. Thinking maybe getting a cheaper custom action $950.00 range. Thanks for your help

I see no reason why you cannot use your Rem action without blueprinting it or changing to a PT&G bolt. There are plenty of us who don't do either and our rifles shoot very accurately. I have been shooting, handloading and hunting for over 40 years. I may get some flack <grin> but I have never owned a single blueprinted action.

If you are going to get into the benchrest game then you might want to have the very best you can get. Quite frankly you would be better getting a custom action. Two of my friends who compete successfully in 1000 BR swear by Bat actions.

This thread should prove interesting. Glad Len has the site set up so we get notified when anyone contributes. Lets see how it evolves.

Thanks for answering. There is a local gunsmith (hobby for him) that is into 1000 yard shooting. I think his lightest gun is around 17 pounds and the heavy one is over 50. I am not into that and probably never will be. I asked him to build me a 1/2" hunting gun (the magical 1/2"). So from his stand point (competition shooting) truing up a action would be to do the hole thing, bushing out the action and putting a larger bolt so there is about .004 clearance. With a bolt and gunsmithing his way it would be about $450.00.
Or I could sell the action for $400.00? and then buy a stiller? For future builds I might just have the face of the action squared up bolt lugs and the threading done where the barrel screws in after reading your thoughts.
thanks

I see no reason why you cannot use your Rem action without blueprinting it or changing to a PT&G bolt. There are plenty of us who don't do either and our rifles shoot very accurately. I have been shooting, handloading and hunting for over 40 years. I may get some flack <grin> but I have never owned a single blueprinted action.

If you are going to get into the benchrest game then you might want to have the very best you can get. Quite frankly you would be better getting a custom action. Two of my friends who compete successfully in 1000 BR swear by Bat actions.

This thread should prove interesting. Glad Len has the site set up so we get notified when anyone contributes. Lets see how it evolves.

+1. +1. i have several remington 700 with krieger barrels. the have not been trued . shoot awesome. if i needed a trued action. i would get a bat.

If you have a buyer at $400, by all means go for it, if not you may be holding that action for a while. $450 which includes a ptg bolt doesn't sound bad at all, the new bolt is a huge upgrade compared to the factory bolt. Or as pointed out you could just toss the dice and build it minus the bolt and truing.

Every step beyond factory is tilting the balance in favor of your 1/2". Honestly I think if you can find a load and repeat it you should have no prob getting this. Hell I get 0.6" out of a factory RR ar15. My tikka is almost a one holer, my savage 280 is about 1/4", factory savage w/ factory stock 7mm-08 is about 1/2". etc... I think you should get what you want any route you take.

If you're budget minded on this rifle I would have it trued and keep the original bolt. Maybe down the road pick up a ptg bolt.

Thanks for the info. Really giving me something to think about. I have options and it sounds like if I just re barrel I could be happy. I do like the ideal about using the same bolt and only getting the ptg bolt if needed. What does a rem action sell for?

Thanks for the info. Really giving me something to think about. I have options and it sounds like if I just re barrel I could be happy. I do like the ideal about using the same bolt and only getting the ptg bolt if needed. What does a rem action sell for?

I would still do the basic action blueprinting for $250, if it were mine...Just to ensure everything is squared up. Peace of mind at a minimal price. You could always add the PTG bolt later on if you wanted to. It could shoot just fine without needing blueprinting, but then again, once it's trued, it's trued. You won't have to do it again.

I am really surprised that every one is telling me about the same thing. It's good to hear. I was getting headaches just thinking about it.

First off +1 with Mudrunner. I have 2 Rem 700 with the PTG oversized bolts with M-16 extractors and love them. Do they have that custom fee to me, no. I went this route to utilize what I have and give my smith every option to true the action with custom bolt features, while selling the old bolt to off set the cost, both are sub 1/2" moa and worked for me. It is all in what you want and the satisfaction of the best you are willing to pay for. I have a 1978 circa Rem 700 that's still shoots sub moa with 4500 rounds through it and when I send it in for a new barrel, I will have it trued. If you have a good smith, talk with him, find one if you don't, you won't be sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.