Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

30-06. I pretty much only shoot old milsurps these days. Tuned up correctly, there is about nothing they can't do.
1) Components are always available, even during the pandemic+protests craziness. With careful lower-pressure loading, and annealing every 4-5th firing, the brass lasts just about forever. Very, very flexible in powders you can use helps with supply shortages. And when all the other projectiles had been absent on store shelves for over a year, a box of .308 something was always there whenever I stopped by.
2) Want to shoot matches? vintage service rifle gets the blood pumping just as much as f-class or anything else, and really teaches you your own limitations as well as that of your equipment.
3) Hunting? you bet ya. nothing like taking a deer with an m1 garand. for people in less forested areas and longer shots...a well tuned 1903a4 clone is very well balanced and practical.
4) It will be a long time before surplus parts dry up, and there are many good references available to keep these old war horses running.
5) the satisfaction when my 100+yr old, well loved, wood-encased, battle worn, rifle outshoots someones high dollar "precision" rig.

Just plain fun, versatile, and practical.

I'm working on a Styer M95 Mannlicher Carbine (8x50 mm) right now. I've had it over 50 years, it's been in the family for a 100 or more. Until 2 weeks ago, it just sat in the safe…..got a "wild hair" to look for components (ammo non-existent), and get the bore cleaned up. The bore initially looked like a dirty sewer line, and after 2 weeks of soak/scrub repeat…..it's looking much better! memtb

7.62x39, dodged more than I care to remember in Nam. Not to mention the arm wound. Probably has a place for some but for me, I'm not a fan.
Now that's a legit reason to hate a round. Thank you for your service @Pointman and all others who served.

I do use that round a lot for thermal hog gun as it's typically the cheapest centerfire rifle ammo out there and hits harder than a 556.

7mm Rem Mag, 25-06, and anything 243/6mm. The last two just didn't give me what I expected. I just have not had good luck with 24s and 25s. I prefer to go smaller or bigger. The first one is because it's not a 300 Win Mag. Lol! And I have a friend who shoots one and swears by it. I prefer 22s, 26s, 30s, 33s, 37s, and 41s & 45/6s. Really partial to the 30s & 33s for big game long range hunting. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
My gun is better than yours….LOL

0841F5C4-3C5D-4E06-874B-0121B7970F9E.gif