Whats the cartridge you LOVE to HATE?

One thing about using a fan to cool your barrel, when the air temp is 90*+, fans are not very effective, we found this out shooting p. dogs. The use of 50/50 water on the outside of the barrel, applied to the point where it is dripping off the bottom of the barrel is very effective and impressive in how fast it cools the barrel.

On guns that had fiberglass stocks with Stainless actions, we filled the whole barrel channel full of the 50/50 water/alcohol , and was amazed at how it cooled the barrel. On rifles that had blued barrels in wood stocks, we oiled the outside of the barrel when we got home or had it in our cleaning kit at the rifle range.

I know I'm late for the party and I haven't read all one hundred and eleven pages, I absoluety detest the 5.7X28.

At the time, reloaders had a choice. Produce a round that will function well in a rifle and won't cycle the pistol or a round that works in the pistol but would destroy the rifle. The reloads that worked in the pistol would almost flatten the shoulder of the case making it look like a straight walled case.

Polymer coated brass. Horror.

Just typing the numbers and letters make my stomach sick.

I'm honestly surprised that I haven't been able to find a support group for reloaders of 5.7X28 anywhere.

All of this took place a long time ago. I have no interest what reloading for the nightmare is like now.

Hate is such a harsh word. We should be inclusive since there's room for everyone's cartridge…. Unless it's a magical creedmoor
What a difference a year makes.
My quoted post above was post #13 and I will admit that I purchased one of those magical 6.5 creedmoor's that I hated.
Maybe it's not magical but it's been proven to be exceptional in printing small groups and I like that.

What a difference a year makes.
My quoted post above was post #13 and I will admit that I purchased one of those magical 6.5 creedmoor's that I hated.
Maybe it's not magical but it's been proven to be exceptional in printing small groups and I like that.

Buuuuuuut, will it kill an elk "stone dead" at over 1000 yards during a total eclipse, in a lightening storm, when you're "hung over"……every time? 🤔

Asking for a friend! 😜 memtb

funny enough I think the 5.56 is radically under appreciated and people waste a ton of time looking for "better" cartridges for ARs when they could just buy a bunch of 77 otm/tmk
hahaha it probably is, I'm a big fan of anything that goes boom, but I also hunt whitetail a lot with AR's. I'm a big fan of the 6.5Grendel, 458 SOCOM, and my 7mm Valkyrie wildcat from MDWS. I can harvest deer with 5.56, but why should I lol.

You know what, now that this thread is alive and well again…..

Ima go after somebody's sacred cow here and say something I've been feeling for a long time 🤣….

THE 45-70 IS OVERRATED AS ALL GET OUT!!!!

Folks act like it's the last word in stopping power, horsepower, like it's a freaking cannon….WELL IT ISN'T!!!!!!! 🤣

At the gun counter it's "the big gun", I've heard multiple gun counter people refer to it as "an elephant gun". It isn't. Heck marlin rates it for T-REX thanks to a guide gun's appearance in Jurassic World…no thank you! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's not to say you couldn't kill an elephant with one. You could. They've been killed en masse with 7x57 and .303 British too. And I'm sure if you kneecapped an TREX there'd be little he could do to catch you, being a biped and all….And sure in a ruger number one you can sort of approach .458 win mag power, but still not really AND…that's a special case. Over the counter .45-70 ammo is nothing to get excited about as far as having a "big gun" is concerned. and resurrecting it took away from the .450 and .444 marlin ever getting their due!

ITS JUST NOT THAT AWESOME!!!!!!

I'm ready, bring out the pitchforks! 😁

Ima go after somebody's sacred cow here and say something I've been feeling for a long time 🤣….

Folks act like it's the last word in stopping power, horsepower, like it's a freaking cannon….WELL IT ISN'T!!!!!!! 🤣

At the gun counter it's "the big gun", I've heard multiple gun counter people refer to it as "an elephant gun". It isn't. Heck marlin rates it for T-REX thanks to a guide gun's appearance in Jurassic World…no thank you! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's not to say you couldn't kill an elephant with one. You could. And sure in a ruger number one you can sort of approach .458 win mag power, but still not really AND…that's a special case. Over the counter .45-70 ammo is nothing to get excited about as far as having a "big gun" is concerned. and resurrecting it took away from the .450 and .444 marlin ever getting their due!

Nah, you're right. 444 is superior. 450m is superior. Fight me.

That's not to say you couldn't kill an elephant with one. You could. They've been killed en masse with 7x57 and .303 British too. And I'm sure if you kneecapped an TREX there'd be little he could do to catch you, being a biped and all….And sure in a ruger number one you can sort of approach .458 win mag power, but still not really AND…that's a special case. Over the counter .45-70 ammo is nothing to get excited about as far as having a "big gun" is concerned. and resurrecting it took away from the .450 and .444 marlin ever getting their due!

If you were not so completely wrong, about the 45-70 and it's 150 year reign of power and glory then, why can't Starline Brass seem to ever be able keep their 45-70 brass in stock ?

If you were not so completely wrong, about the 45-70 and it's 150 year reign of power and glory then, why can't Starline Brass seem to ever be able keep their 45-70 brass in stock ?
Oh but the question was not "what cartridge doesn't sell?" Or "what cartridge is not popular?" It's what cartridge do you love to hate! Now hate is a strong word, I don't hate any cartridge, but the .45-70 is overrated (hence the brass sourcing issue you mention) is all I'm arguing haha…and I actually don't care all that much one way or another, certainly not a personal matter for me.