What you don't like about the NXS and VX6 scopes

Left Hand Dave

I would like to buy either a Leopold VX6 HD 4-24X52 T-MOA or Night Force NXS 5.5-22X50 MOAR-T if I can swing it end of this year first of next year. I have to get it right the first time because I cannot afford to do this twice. I have read every post I can find about why people like their Night Force or there Leopold. I would like you to tell me what you dont like even if you still love your scope.

The only thing I don't like about the NF is that the whole eye piece rotates along with the magnification adjustment . Kinda a pain when using flip up covers . All my Leupolds are old so they don't belong in this conversation.

You might want to consider the Zeiss Conquest V6. Based on my initial impressions of it, it is very comparable to your other options.

-David (also left handed)

To me...NXS is great except in low light. I have a VX6HD and in low light it's much better. You'll enjoy the positive turret adjustments of the NXS and it's a great target and daylight hunting scope. Your Leupy will be lighter in weight and better in low light. I sold my NXS for a VX6HD 3-18X50. Just my opinion. Good luck.

I don't like the eyepiece movement on the NXS. The Nightforce is a hefty scope and the glass is just average (NXS models) to my eyes.

I haven't had the HD vx6 but I did own a 4-24 tmoa in the original line and the scope was excellent optically. I didn't like the tmoa didn't have illumination (looks like they added it for the HD version) and the turrets were not very good when it came to feel (squishy and not very audible) especially when it comes to comparing against the NXS

If it was my money I would buy the VX6HD over the NXS or save for a ATACR.

The Nightforce is too heavy and the glass could be better.

The Leupold doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy that it'll track true like the nightforce. If you could combine the bombproof tracking of the nightforce with the features of the leupold you'd have the perfect hunting scope.

That said, my elk rifle wears a VX-6 (non HD) 2-12x42 and so far the CDS turret tracks perfectly. I dialed a bit for the 380 yd shot on my elk a couple of weeks ago. Not an extreme test by any means, but it worked great.

I'm a little surprised to read the comments that people aren't happy with the NF glass. I've found exactly the opposite with it being stellar and certainly better than any Leupold glass I ever looked through but then I have old eyes and your mileage may vary.

I don't think I'd buy an NXS unless I expected rugged conditions that might challenge the durability of the scope. The SHV series is much more practical in my opinion and yes I own both the NXS and SHV scopes.

If you buy an SHV you can also buy Nightforce Scope Caps, Nightforce Scope Base and Rings, a Nightforce Clamp On Power Throw Lever, and a bunch of brass and bullets for your rifle and still have a bunch of money left over.

To me it's a no brainer. By the way... You won't save any money shopping on Nightforce so you might as well buy it here on Long Range Hunting and support the forum that gives us all so much free support and enjoyment.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/store/nightforce-shv-5-20x56.html

The Nightforce NXS is a bit of a weight, glass is perfect to me aside the weight issue and eye piece sometimes rotating along with the magnification adjustment its a perfect scope.

Ummmm.... Y'all might want to compare weights of scopes in the class of the NXS and VX6 et al.... Not that much difference....

The VX6HD is 25+% lighter(23.4 oz vs 32 oz) which is substantial with the type of hunting I do.
https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compact-scopes/vx-6hd-4-24x52mm

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/5-5-22x56

The Nightforce does have a substantial amount of elevation travel. Enough glass to see the target in good light, turrets solid as a rock, and good elevation adjustment.

I have owned and dialed on quite a few Nightforce's but have since turned into a glass snob. I wouldn't buy the NXS line again because of the glass quality vs weight compared to the competition.

On my 5.5-20 NXS the rotating eyepiece annoys me because of the flip up scope caps. My other annoyance is not being able to adjust the reticle brightness in the field. The glass on mine is also not very good. My cousin has the same scope and it is very good glass. My NXS tracks very well and has always held zero. I trust my NXS but don't love it because of these little annoying things The VX-6 I have is a 3-18x50 and I love it on my coyote rifle. It is a 204 and I don't dial for long range. I use the reticle for holdovers.

I have a couple NF NXS scopes, an ATACR, and a S&B PMii. I will agree with the others that NXS glass is ok, but not "great". The scopes are very robust and track perfectly, so durability in the field shouldn't ever be an issue. They are a little heavier, but that's the tradeoff for extreme durability. The rotating eye piece does cause a problem with flip covers at times. However, I do like being able to grab the entire eye piece and rotate to zoom. It's very easy to do when wearing gloves. I've gone to using neoprene scope covers instead of flip caps on my NF scopes. I can get the cover off just as fast as opening the flip caps. The neoprene cover also provides some additional protection to the scope that flip caps do not. It can also be used an a make shift rear bag when shooting prone.

I've never looked through a VX-6, so can't comment or compare. ATACR glass is a little more clear than NXS to my eyes. Neither are close to my S&B, but honestly, unless you are reading print at 100 yds +, I'm not sure it matters on a hunting rifle. The NXS glass is perfectly adequate for the use, and is not a hindrance in any way.

Reticle illumination is a bit quirky on the NXS, and the parallax and windage knobs stick out to the sides quite a bit, so it's easy to snag them on clothing or other things when carrying the rifle. Overall, I'm very happy with my NXS scopes. I prefer the durability and solid tracking to something that will save a few ounces but might be out of commission if I take a tumble in the back country. I can work around the flip cap issue with a neoprene cover, and although the glass is not as good as some other options, it is perfectly usable.

Ummmm.... Y'all might want to compare weights of scopes in the class of the NXS and VX6 et al.... Not that much difference....

Nightforce NXS 3-15x50 30 oz.
Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 20.4 oz.

Sorry, but at 9.6 oz. difference that's significant. Over half a pound is enough to make me rule out the scope on a hunting rifle. The glass is better on the Leupold as well as the reticle (for hunting anyway). I just wish I trusted the Leupold to track like the Nightforce. I also really like the zero lock feature on the leupold, I have it on a VX-6 2-12 and it's great. I wish all my hunting scopes had it.

This is all good information and I thank all of you for your input. I am going to print this out and take it with me when I go to stores and shows so I can refer back to it and check out the + and - from everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.