What about this scope?

I have 6 or 8 Leupold scopes and have had GREAT success with them. I have never had anything but VX-III.

Would like your input on these compared to EVERYTHING else out there.

Archer

Good scope. Like you I have only wanted/needed/owned leupold scopes. I also have had VERY good luck with them. They have never let me down, and the one problem I did have with the knob on one scope was VERY quickly rectified through leupolds warranty/repair shop. However, brace yourself. . . there are more leupold bashers here than anywhere else that I have ever frequented!

Just buy it and love it!!! Some will tell you Luepies are second rate, but I for one think they are one of the best.

I thought it was very interesting that the equipment lists of the winners @ the VHA Jamboree contained Leupies almost exclusively.

When you're paying upwards of a grand for a scope, it is prudent to purchase from a company which is likely to still be in business in a decade, or two, or three... down the road. That means Leupold.

U.S. Optics, Nightforce, IOR, and certain others make good scopes--however, who knows if these scope manufacturers will still be in business in 2015 when one of their thousand-plus dollars scopes takes a dump?

Sure, these other scope makers might indeed stand the test of time. But the likelihood than any of them will ever beat Leupold at its own game is slim to none. Leupold will likley be around eons after all of us reading this post are feeding the worms (if you know what I mean). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan

Great point. This is the scope that I am going with.

I am putting a custom McMillan stock on my 300 win mag and along with the recoil pad hope to REALLY reduce recoil.

This gun shoots great now and should shoot even better after this. I plan to put this scope on it and try it as a long range rifle. If it does not cut it I plan to have one built.

Archer

Archeryelk,

We just got one of the exact scope that you are interested in that is brand new in the box, never been mounted, but has the wrap off the box. I can work you out a pretty good deal if you are interested. Just send me an email if you are.

I'VE NEVER BEEN A LEUPOLD MAN UNTIL I TRIED A MARK 4 AND I CAN TELL YOU IT IS A VERY FINE RIFLESCOPE. THE INDEXED LENS MATCHING I THINK HAS HELPED WITH THEIR LIGHT TRANSMISSION. YOU DIDN'T GO WRONG.

This looks like it could be heading for another Leupold/S&B slanging match again, we all know certain posters wont entertain the idea of anything else then a S&B, but other opinions must also be respscted, so lets not go there.

Ian.

There is much more than image clarity and contrast to consider when choosing a scope. Whether that scope can maintain zero, and last for years--and quality of customer service are also important.

A scope is an aiming device--not something with which we "glass the field." While image quality is important, among the higher priced scopes available today there is little if any difference in resolution, and image quality comes down to a personal matter. Even the "lowly" Burris Fullfield in that Swedish hunting mag test scored a 10 out of 10 for image resolution. It faired poorly on color--but again, we're hopefully not using our scopes to spot game, but rather only to aim our rifles at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.