What would you do next?

cstilt

The following groups were from my Browning 270Win with a Boss set at 2.5. Scope is a Simons Aetec 2.8x10. They were all starting loads (55gr) of H4831SC with 130gr Accubonds. The only variable was the seating depth. They were -0.01, -0.05, -0.09 and -0.13 from the lands (shown in that order top to bottom). What length would you use to finish working up through different charge weights with? Honestly, I'm thinking of shooting the 0.05 and 0.09 again with a 0.07 thrown in for good measure. Opinions?

BTW, this was the first time I've EVER handloaded. Also my 1st time behind the trigger this year. Not great by most standards, but not bad for a 1st time I hope. Oh, the 0.9group had me excited. First 3 rounds were the ones that are touching.
1stGroups.jpg

Honestly, I'm thinking of shooting the 0.05 and 0.09 again with a 0.07 thrown in for good measure. Opinions?

That is what I'd do, but load 8 or 10 of each. Statistically, 5 isn't enough data.

I agree with what was said, but I would pay close attention to having a cool barrel when firing. I think I would worry about what powder and powder weight more than seating depth at this time. Now you know that your depth that shot 9/10" was decent so I'd continue working up loads w/ that one. I would also check your stock conditions too. proper torque on your screws, proper bedding... all adds up to a slightly larger group. Good luck.

Thanks for the replys guys. Right now this is the only components that I have so I'm going to work with it a bit more to see how it plays out.

I tried to let the barrel cool down between shots. I went to the range with a clean barrel, fired a fouling shot then waited a few minutes to start shooting my 1st group. After I fired a shot I would let the barrel cool until it wasn't ambient temperature, but more just barely warm. Once I had fired my first 2 groups of 5 shots I cleaned the bore and fired another fouling shot.

What do you guys with more experience tend to do. Do you start working up a load starting with seating depth then charge weight or the other way around?

I'm sure there are better ways out there, but I basically do what your doing. I pick a bullet or a couple bullets to try... One test group for a decent seating depth. Find one that works reasonably well. Then I test a couple different pouders and a mild to moderate load working up. Then I pick a powder that looks promising and go for broke. When I have the powder amount nailed down I do a little more fine tuning for seating depth...but All my rifles are limited by magazine length and don't allow for me to seat to the lands :(

I think I'm going to work up a bit more with the 4831sc and see if anything changes. Going to use the -.09 depth. It seemed not too bad then play with depth a bit more like you suggested. If nothing pans out to my liking after that I'll try some RL-22. I've heard it would be pretty good as well.

Thinking about it. I need to work on my shooting technique (and equipment) as well. Maybe a small sandbag under the front and an unsupported rear isn't the best for accuracy. Tonight I also set the trigger to the factory adjustable minimum of about 3lbs. I think it was roughly 5-6 factory preset.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts