What would you do next with these results?

maninthemaze

These are 5 shot groups fired Round Robin style at 100 yards. The wind blowing between 5 and 10 mph, constantly changing directions. I think that's why the 64.5 was spread out a little. Although, the group is pretty good horizontall.

So should I load up more ammo with smaller increments in between the 64 grain and 65 grain loads, but at a farther distance?

Or just load up a bunch of 64 gainers and start practicing for the upcoming hunting season?

Thanks for the input!!!

Attachments

• 20160513_170249.jpg
    20160513_170249.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 105
64.5 looks like they have the least vertical.
Maybe shoot it again nice and slow.
Maybe tweak the seating depth a bit.

maybe .2in between 64-64.6, that 64.5 looks tight. then tune seating depth if possible

I'm starting to think the same thing. Like you said, .2 between 64 and 64.6. I might try shooting those at 200 yards and thru the chronograph to verify a fps node.

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

I would go with 64.5 and establish the preferred length. Then, if necessary, try the .2 grain thing. After that I would change nothing but primers. I have seen them cut groups in half.

It's a 7wsm built on a Stiller Tac 300 and Krieger barrel with 1-9 twist. These are 180 grain Berger Hunting VLD, Reloader 26 and BR2 primers. I currently have them loaded with a .005 jump.

I thought the 64 and 65 looked pretty good since 4 out of 5 are in almost the same hole, but I guess the vertical isn't as good with the one flyer on each group.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!!

Last edited:
I guess I finally found a load I'm happy with. I forgot to take my chronograph with me but that's ok. I'm happy with the results no matter what the velocity is. I'm guessing it to be around 2850 to 2900 just from the recoil of the rifle while shooting. I'll be sure and check the velocity with it prior to calculating drop charts.

These groups were shot at 400 yards in not ideal conditions. The wind wasn't bad, I gave a 1 moa correction. I was having to shoot prone out of the bed of my truck. Where a have to go to shoot that far had some pretty tall grass. Either way, I'm happy!!!

Attachments

• 20160523_144304.jpg
    20160523_144304.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 104
I'll have to really look into finding another shooting spot. I might be able to stretch it out to 600 but I would have to wait for winter to get here. The spot I can shoot at 600 has me shooting through a stand of trees.

Since this is just a hunting rifle, a heavy one though, I believe I'll just load up some 64.2 gainers and practice. I don't think a 1.89" group at 400 yards is too bad, especially for this rookie.

Thanks for the help though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.