What works for light bullets in 8 twist .224?

65WSM

I am thinking of trying my 600 yd bench rifle for prairie dogs. The question is what .224 bullet will shoot the best but still allow me to see the impact. I have shot 55 Ballistic Tips and they reach the target without disintegrating. Is there something lighter that has a high for its weight BC and will tolerate the 8 twist?

It is a .22-6.5X47 Lapua with a 40 degree shoulder on a M70 Coyote action. The barrel is a custom Krieger 26 inch 8 twist and nitrocarburized. The volume is more than a .22/250 Savage but less than the Ackley improved version. I like 38.3 gr of R-17 with 80gr MKs at 3375 fps.

Attachments

• Fulton with 224 Nisqually.jpg
    Fulton with 224 Nisqually.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 166
I am thinking of trying my 600 yd bench rifle for prairie dogs. The question is what .224 bullet will shoot the best but still allow me to see the impact. I have shot 55 Ballistic Tips and they reach the target without disintegrating. Is there something lighter that has a high for its weight BC and will tolerate the 8 twist?

It is a .22-6.5X47 Lapua with a 40 degree shoulder on a M70 Coyote action. The barrel is a custom Krieger 26 inch 8 twist and nitrocarburized. The volume is more than a .22/250 Savage but less than the Ackley improved version. I like 38.3 gr of R-17 with 80gr MKs at 3375 fps.

We are just beginning work on varmint bullets for the 17, 20, and 22 cal. We made some 17's and used them for gophers this spring with good results. Still need a bit of testing to make sure they will give the desired red mist results.

Our mono bullets will give you the speed you are looking for due to the lower density of copper and still have the size of the 55g bt's. They will have no trouble with the twist as they will not come apart due to rotational force.

Of course they are lead free so they will be legal everywhere for shooting.

Let me know if we can help you.

Steve

I'm running 69gr and 77gr Sierra Match out of 20" AR Platform 69gr solid out to 700 yards. 77 gets me out to 900 effectively. I can hit the 1000 yard target but not group well at that distance.

WHY? I've gotten the 40 grain Vmax to shoot alright out of my 8 twist 22-250 but it was just to burn up some leftover loaded rounds laying around from another 22-250. To me the rig you have is ideal for dogs out past 400yards where the 75 Amax works great!
Under 400 yards the 204,20ppc and 223 works so much cheaper and easier on the barrel.
But to answer your question the 40 grain plastic tips usually will take the ride out of an 8 twist if the throats not shot out too much? The Nosler seamed to stay together longer than the Vmax. The Hornady SX will usually not make the trip out and the 53 (higher BC than the 55s) grain Vmax might be doable though I have not tried them.

Thanks for the help MachV with the 40 grs. That is the kind of knowledge I was seeking.

The disadvantage to the 75-77 gr bullets is that the recoil knocks the view of the impact out of the scope. I can't see where they hit.

I have .17 Rem, 20 PPC, .219 Donaldson Wasp, 6mm PPC (Miroku replica Highwall) working right now but none of those are useful beyond 300.

Incidently, I regularly shoot my .224 wildcat at 550 yards. I am convinced that the plastic tips on the Hornady 75 A-Max and the Sierra 77 "tipped" MKs melt away and reduce the accuracy that the hollow points show. I do best with the Sierra 80 MK that is uniformed on the tip with the Montour County Rifles tool.

I just got back from the Montana prairie Dig fields . On my 8"twist 22/250 I have a Holland radial baffle brake . Just about zero recoil with 75gr A-maxs. But I did shoot some 55 gr bullets and they were nosler BT . They sent the dogs flying ,but so did the 75gr A-maxs .

I would try the Nosler Varmageddon HPs...You have quite a combination of powder and RPMs that play havoc with bullets.
The Noslers have worked best for me, tho.
Hard to believe your 219DW & 6PPC can't reach further than 300 yards effectively, tho...at least in prairie dingo shooting.
I love the 6TCU and it is about the same as the 6PPC...and it is a good 400+ yard shooter, if I do my part (Doing "My Part" gets harder and harder, as more B'days Pass!).
Lichen Slayer

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.