What "tools" are you guys using to get out to 1000 yards?

Slaysesh

I see some products being used and i have things to get me that far just not all of them and was wonder what you guys use and why.

Things i missing:
Good ballistics program (shooter, exbal, ect others??)
Wind meter (kestrel, anyothers?)
Rangfinder (Leica 1600-b?)
What else?

I have a custom .243ai that should get me pretty far and have a 7mm stw being put together and planning on a .300 win mag soon (broz has convinced me 100%). So i want the tools that can get me wayy out there.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Shooter or Applied Ballistics app on your phone.

Leica 1600 CRF or 1600 b or even a 1200 CRF-Y

Kestrell 2500 or 3500

A scope with good repeatable turrets and 30 + moa of dial up.

A good solid bipod like a Harris 9~13" swivel

good solid rear bag (Red Tack from DE)

Scope level set up correctly and I like it on the rail mount.

A load with a heavy high BC bullet

Jeff

Looks like I was close on track, Thanks for the response! You think those are good options for the ballistic programs? What one do you use?

Pretty much the same.

Shooter or Applied Balistics
Leica 1600
Kestral or old Minox
Mostly luepys with Horus Reticules

Once I got used to hold over rarely dial anymore.

Looks like I was close on track, Thanks for the response! You think those are good options for the ballistic programs? What one do you use?

I use both AB and Shooter. But primarily Applied Ballistics. The custom Drag in AB separates it from all the other when going to a mile plus.

Jeff

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate and say that you don't "need" any of that.
But boy does it help!

If you haven't bought a laser RF yet I know where there is a very nice Leica 1200 CRF-Y with box and papers for $450 shipped.

I have used the RF and know it well. It does all that it is advertised to do and more. It is a proven unit.

Jeff

+1 for all the tools mentioned. For out to 1000 yard shooting, I found that the Gunwerks G7 Rangefinder proved to be the ultimate tool for my hunting, replacing the individual need for a ballistics calculator, cosine indicator, RF, and weather station(Kestral). With the G7, I bought myself time to get an accurate wind read, and a solid, well placed shot. Those big whitetails don't hang around too long. IMO.

It has been my experience that ALL of the tools above are good but like building a house you have to start with a solid foundation . There are lots of gremlins that live between 500 and 1k and the best way I have learned to tame them is trigger time , start at 100 yds to get trigger pull and breathing , then 200 yds for recoil and windage then 300 yds and so on . You will learn what you need as you go ! gun)

I go shooting out where it is flatter than a pancake. A rangefinder for me is often times useless. Since I've gotta set my target up I mark in on a GPS use that as a measuring tool. You can also use your reticle to gauge distance if you know the dimensions of your target.

Another tool I use is an infrared thermometer to measure ammo and barrel temp.

Like others said:
- Kestrel 2500 for BP Temp and wind at the shooter.
- Chronograph because you gotta know your load.
- I like heavy and High BC bullets
- Trigger time
- all the Gun stuff.
- A good spotter friend that shares the passion is helpful.

- Leave the caffeine alone...it makes me shaky

And Most important ---A Notebook and Pen--- Good record keeping goes a long way in terms of learning more about your load, conditions, Scope Adjustments, Things that work and things that don't etc. It will also give you a chance to review when you get home and identify any errors that you may have made.

A good spotter to me is #1.

The first time I shot at 1,000 I had nothing; no spotting scope, no wind meter, and no range finder. I was shooting at a range with targets at known distances though. All I had was a bone stock Browning 7mm Rem Mag with a Zeiss 3-9x36 scope. I had a Sunday morning news paper rolled up in a towel as my rest, and some hand loaded bullets which I had zeroed my gun for the day before. When I tested them I got 1.51"-1.75" groups at 300 yards.

The next day a spotter/coach met me at the range free of charge and we shot at 300 to get things established. Then we drove back to the 1,000 range. I said I wanted to start at 600 having never ever in my life shot past 300 yards. He shrugged and asked why I wanted to waste my bullets. So 1,000 it will be. He gave me a MOA value to come up, which didn't agree with an online ballistic calculator I used and I told him this. We agreed to split the difference. First shot at 1,000 hit the bottom edge of the black circle, 7 inches to the left of center. Second shot hit the bottom again, 4 inches to the right of center. He said my elevation is consistent, the rest is the mild wind effects of the day. He said come up one more half MOA. I did and the third and fourth shots hit 4 inches left of the target center and on the X mark elevation. He said good shootin', you're on your own buddy. Gave me the gate code and I can go there whenever I want now.

I still need to bring a pit pig at minimal, but I think a good spotter is more valuable than any piece of equipment you could purchase. That goes for real world hunting scenarios and range shooting both.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.