what to use out of my 300 win

The problem with my advice is that I have not killed any big game with my gun past 500 yards. But, anyway, you ask about a deer bullet, and a lot of my research was in comparing the Winchester Mag with the 300 Weatherby and I noticed that the numbers favored the Weatherby by a large margin....except in 165 grain bullets. I tried two, the Hornady 165 flat base and the Nosler 168. A full case of H4831 gives me about 3265fps and both have accounted for most of my deer, over the past twenty years, or so. Those bullets might drop like a rock at 800 yards, I don't know, but within my comfort zone, I am well pleased? It just seems to be a natural bullet weight for that particular case capacity and two hundred pound animals.

Something to consider.

Good hunting. LB

Sorry that's what I have heard is that those sierra match kings were the sh.t but after seeing the performance they didn't do I wasn't impressed. I have seen one nasty hole that did make a whitetail do flop but I've seen to many hits that I have no doubt were in the chest cavity that were never to be found. I dont know if it was a bad lot or what but in one year I shot 2 deer that I can remember that were never to be found. Sorry I shot one deer that was never found and my friend shot the other. I didn't see the hit on the one I shot but did find the blood and followed it fore ever then finally gave up after I ran out of blood. But the one my friend shot was a doe at maybe 50yrds and that's maybe I would guess it to be closer but I didn't range it at the time. I saw the bullet enter right behind the front shoulder and run off also never to be found. since it was the last weekend and I was at hunting camp so I didn't have my reloading equipment I ran down and got some 150gr. remington corelocks since it was the only thing they had for a 300win and ended my season with a shot at about 10yrds with them on a little 4 point at the end of the season.

Ahem ,

Screech , two instances ? and one of them you were not looking through the scope , someone else was ?

Not trying to be argumentative or " stir the pot " just pointing out that there are many here that have beaucoup encounters with game using matchkings and "failure " is the word they use to point out how they did'nt fail !I also know some personally that , no matter what they will point at /choose the "hunting bullets " over the matchkings . Have you ever shot a deer through both lungs with a SMK,? how about 4" down the neck from the ear ?Full frontal right throught the brisket into the boiler room? I can go on ad infinitum because there are those here that have done these and more.

Reckon what I'm saying is that you don't have enough experience to toss out the SMKs and for that matter , do you think that there is a bullet out there that will never let you down. ? ( perhaps that should read " a bullet that you will never let down " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

Just some thoughts and I am glad you ask the questions, but please , be open to the answers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jim B.

Beyond a doubt, a 200 SMK! I've used them for deer out to 1000 with devastating results. No deer moved beyond point of impact. Deadly accurate, LR combo.

200 SMK, ahead of 69.4 grains of RE22.

ceg