What to consider when pushing back the shoulder

H3R3T1K

Hi all this is my first post in this forum. I've got a wildcat idea based on the 7.62x45mm Czech case that I would like try out after aquiring a bunch of brass. Here's some approximate dimensions: http://www.municion.org/7_62x45/7_62x45.gif I've got the CIP files with the exact dimensions. The idea is simple. I'd like to neck it down to 7mm keeping the original shoulder angle. I want to use longer bullets than the original 60mm COAL allows for. I'm thinking a COAL of 65/66 something mm. Haven't got my mind made up about the chamber yet. So I thought it might be a good idea to extend the neck slightly since what I will be left with is just 6.15mm or .85 times caliber long. I want a neck that's about a caliber long so extending it by 1mm or .039" will do that. The way I understand it cold/forming can only be used to reduce dimensions not increase them. So keeping the original shoulder diameter is fine. How do I do it?

Why don't you just use the 7mm br or 7mm'08 so you can get dies/ brass? They'll both be about what you're looking for without as much brass headache.

If you really want to neck down this round, get collet dies for the bigger round made up and swap out the 30 cal. collets for 7mm ones to get the neck tension right. Have your chamber neck cut a bit long and the brass will grow in the first few firings, sorta like using necked down '06 brass in a 270.

I would call Mr. Spencer at Spencer Tool and Grind. I had him make me some dies to shorten a 300 WSM cartridge about .2" and also bump it up to a 40' shoulder angle. The set works great and he was very professional. His # is 989-385-0173. They cost me about $200 but I also ended up needing 6 bushings to get down to a 40' sholder. One thg that I would recommend is have him drill and tap the "top" (that will make sense when you see the dies) so that you can thread a 7mm RCBS depriming stem into it.

All he needed fromm me was a copy of the chaber reamer plans and he made them rom there.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.