What the devil is this thing?

Guy's... not trying to hi-jack this threat just throwing a little mind candy out here. First I think my last post identifies the original question here. So, if you want a real mind teaser perhaps someone can identify this case; see photos... Short story... We were working in the field in the late 70's I think 79... we came into a training area where the "D" Boys or The Unit guys had just left a couple of hours ahead of us. Normally they're pretty good about policing up things in their AO of items they don't want people to see, anyway I found a few of these cartridges between the cracks so to speak; they are... NATO sampled, Lake City, 71... they are (or seem to be) brass but have a different feel about them, they also have a lacquer-like finish too them and over the years have not oxidized, you know the green stuff or discoloration spots anywhere on them, inside or out. They have six holes on the shoulder, the caliber is .30 cal and the case dimension are the same as a 7.62x51mm NATO they don't appear to have been factory crimped. One thing here; the mouth looks like it has a small dent like it may have come out of a semi/full-auto. I called Lake City many years ago and they said (or at least the person I spoke with) said; they knew nothing of the cartridge that I was describing at the time, yeah'..., my thoughts as well'..., with L.C stamping on it??? Anyway, I've worked with serialized ammo/cartridges,
and subcaliber devices from .17 cal to the 90mm and106mm recoilless before, but have never seen anything close to this one. In the photo are three cartridges, the one on the left is the aforementioned cartridge in question, the center is a handload in a commercial case, and right is a serialized with no markings as to the origin of the user(s).
This is not a trick question, like I know what it's, "no" I really don't know what the cartridge is, and what usage it would have had with the "D" Boys at the time, I'm sure when I find out someday'..., I'll find the answer was in front of me all the time.

Ammo 44.jpg
Ammo 66.jpg
Ammo 99.jpg

Last edited:
436, your cartridges look like some kind of "ejection enhancer," something to assure the empty comes out, along the lines of the HK system, complete with the lines along the case. Just a guess but anywhere near a base and you're likely to come across things that make little sense. While chasing bunnies out around Edwards AFB in Mojave we came across everything from pieces of airplanes to really odd cartridges, bullets, training rounds, you name it. Once, there was a C-130 flying around with some poor slob hanging out the back in what looked like a bosun's chair at pretty low altitude (about 3 - 400')! The pilots waved at us but the poor guy hanging out the back wasn't about to let go of the lines he had to hold on to! They made several circuits but of course it was one time I didn't have a camera with me.

As to my widget... it's quite possible it's missing parts but unless it's fired out of something with a rimfire firing pin, nothing's going to happen. Has anyone ever heard of a rimfire bolt that would fit into a .308? I certainly haven't but that's not saying a lot. Could just be a fancy fishing weight, too! I think I'm going to have to go with sedancowboy's idea of a Contender insert, possibly homemade. Beyond that... could be anything anyone wants it to be!
Cheers,
crkckr

436, your cartridges look like some kind of "ejection enhancer," something to assure the empty comes out, along the lines of the HK system, complete with the lines along the case. Just a guess but anywhere near a base and you're likely to come across things that make little sense. While chasing bunnies out around Edwards AFB in Mojave we came across everything from pieces of airplanes to really odd cartridges, bullets, training rounds, you name it. Once, there was a C-130 flying around with some poor slob hanging out the back in what looked like a bosun's chair at pretty low altitude (about 3 - 400')! The pilots waved at us but the poor guy hanging out the back wasn't about to let go of the lines he had to hold on to! They made several circuits but of course it was one time I didn't have a camera with me.

As to my widget... it's quite possible it's missing parts but unless it's fired out of something with a rimfire firing pin, nothing's going to happen. Has anyone ever heard of a rimfire bolt that would fit into a .308? I certainly haven't but that's not saying a lot. Could just be a fancy fishing weight, too! I think I'm going to have to go with sedancowboy's idea of a Contender insert, possibly homemade. Beyond that... could be anything anyone wants it to be!
Cheers,
crkckr

crkckr,

I'm pretty sure the article from the NRA is correct on your item; they quote'..., "Cartridge holder assembly used in U.S. cal. .22 Machine Gun Trainer (cal. .22 Long Rifle)(r.)." and it is missing part(s) I don't believe it has anything to do with a Contender.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/4/3/cartridge-adapters/

Interesting story on the Herky Bird. My mystery cartridge may have something to due with a subcaliber device in a recoilless rifle, still working on it... but that's just a guess on my end so far.

436, I read that and agree with you but they aren't clear on how the thing is ignited. I'm assuming it has a rimfire bolt? It would have to, it's the only way it would fire. The adapter also very likely comes from that era as well, since just about everything in the box was as old or older than I was! Funny thing is, I thought I'd written that down on the last novella I did but obviously missed it! I'm telling you all, getting old sucks... a lot! It is not for the faint of heart!
Cheers,
crkckr

436, I read that and agree with you but they aren't clear on how the thing is ignited. I'm assuming it has a rimfire bolt? It would have to, it's the only way it would fire. The adapter also very likely comes from that era as well, since just about everything in the box was as old or older than I was! Funny thing is, I thought I'd written that down on the last novella I did but obviously missed it! I'm telling you all, getting old sucks... a lot! It is not for the faint of heart!
Cheers,
crkckr

crkckr,
First, I agree, getting old is not for girly boys :) as for the "how it fires" the .22 LR subcaliber round; you might try contacting the author of the article {Larry S. Sterett} with the NRA I'm would think he has the answer. Cheers

It has taken me months to get around to putting this thing here on LRH! I really don't care all that much about it, especially now that I know it's not complete!

It's clear they had a rimfire bolt in the military guns, it's the only way they could get them to fire. Thing is, one of these days I'm going to have to dig thru "the box" to see if the other part is there (the odds are slim). At least now I know what to look for!
Cheers,
crkckr

It has taken me months to get around to putting this thing here on LRH! I really don't care all that much about it, especially now that I know it's not complete!

It's clear they had a rimfire bolt in the military guns, it's the only way they could get them to fire. Thing is, one of these days I'm going to have to dig thru "the box" to see if the other part is there (the odds are slim). At least now I know what to look for!
Cheers,
crkckr

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.