What talents do you have...

I can fly a helicopter...dunno if that's a talent or a bad decision?!?

I flew helos in the Army from '73-'78.
Graduated all the way up to Boeing 777's. Now retired.
Undertaking a much more puzzling and head scratching hobby—long range shooting ‍♂️.

Being stuck in the house most the time these days I use wildlife art as therapy... I don't think of it as a talent so much as just something to make the jail time passView attachment 92179
IMG_0906.JPG

I did a trade with a guy in Roseburg Oregon...a fishing trip for Chinook for hunting turkeys on his place...
Well..I got my first and only turkey...the neighbor got screaming mad..he said he feeds those birds...well..in oregon you aren't supposed to feed the wildlife....so he shut up and went home when I told him that...
The guy brought his brother from I think Michigan..a pilot for the big planes...biggest fish he had ever caught was a 14" perch....well by days end we had landed about six chinook, a couple of immature Chinook called jacks(under 24")....the brother hooked into a really nice fish..we got to see it come flying out of the rivers surface for a spectacular jump....beautiful 40# fish....landed it a while later and they went,home to eat fresh salmon....another good day....

Last edited:
dgarret...you said you visited idaho...where's home...
Critters are nice...almost looks like you could put clear on those eyes and make them blink....
One of the toughest dimensions of mounting and painting fish are the eyes....
If you can get the depth of field colors around the eyes correct it completes a mount...
If you can't.....well give it another 10 years of practice.....
Took me 3 years to get it close..after mounting fish for 15....I was close...but took a long time to satisfy my own criticism......
I am..my own..worst critic....

Last edited:
Well...I am a self induced temporary retiree....
But it is driving me nuts....I need to get back to work....

IMG_2121.JPG
4th generation contractor, ex-pro "cage fighter" (please no jokes from Napoleon Dynamite), now turned ear ring (not a typo) and holster maker! I also do high end concrete counter tops! Funny how when you put stuff down on paper, it seems strange. I used to fight for money, now I make ear rings and ladies' purses. o_O...... for money

Attachments

• IMG_1941.JPG
    IMG_1941.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 49
Dang nice holster work....that counter looks really nice too...
I can't figure out how to get the high end jobs from people...
I do a lot of little projects....few hours here and there...
Did a tile shower for a lady up the road....it wasn't anything fancy..just straight forward work....22 hours tiling, grouting and fixing holes in the walls the plumbers left.....someday I will find gold........

Dang nice holster work....that counter looks really nice too...
I can't figure out how to get the high end jobs from people...
I do a lot of little projects....few hours here and there...
Did a tile shower for a lady up the road....it wasn't anything fancy..just straight forward work....22 hours tiling, grouting and fixing holes in the walls the plumbers left.....someday I will find gold........

That's the hard part, but 10 years later, bam!! You're an instant success!! My wife started doing jewelry and I started concrete counter tops both as side gigs. We were going to drop the one that didn't perform. We worked hard, took a few beats, made a few wins and they both began to perform better than our good day jobs. We both work together on each project. She colors the tops. Jewelry and leather work are cleaner and lighter weight though and now we're training our counter top customers to stop calling!

View attachment 92235 I started trying to make earings last week for my wife. These View attachment 92231 View attachment 92232 View attachment 92233 View attachment 92234 feathers are all from either birds that I shot this year or from chickens that we raise for eggs.

Nice work! I like that they're totally yours. They look amazingly similar to the first ones my wife had me make. It was so difficult for me to pluck out a matching pair of grizzly hackles from my fly tying stuff. Now..... we'll I turned a super nice sheet of hammered silver into a molten ball of sorrows