What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
Orkan @orkan Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. So with that being said I wonder why Leupold doesn't offer a reticle on minutes to match their dials? Why would the military want to have the dial not match the radical? Seems like they do that a lot.

Leupold does offer models in which the reticle matches the turrets.

However, you'd serve yourself well to not look at leupold as an example of how to do things right. They are very much behind the ball when it pertains to precision rifle scopes. They were very late to the party, which allowed just about every other major manufacturer get a jump on them in regard to rugged first focal plane optics.

Right now, leupold doesn't do anything that another company doesn't do better at an equal or lesser price point. Sad but true.

Another important tidbit for you: Once the reticle matches the turrets, then you also want to ensure you've got a reticle in the first focal plane, instead of the more traditional 2nd focal plane. This ensures your reticle subtends correctly at ALL magnifications, instead of just one magnification. That way, when you read the reticle, it will always be correct, no matter what power you are on.

If you happen to be in the market for a new optic that has the features I've outlined, I'd be happy to help get you into one. We have rifle scopes to suit nearly every budget.

Where you are now, is a dark place. The features that are packed into new rifle scopes give you a whole set of new capabilities and speed when engaging targets, whether they be steel, paper, or furry.

Orkan @orkan Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. So with that being said I wonder why Leupold doesn't offer a reticle on minutes to match their dials? Why would the military want to have the dial not match the radical? Seems like they do that a lot.

i really dont know why or why a milrad scope is much more than an moa scope, when other brands cost the same.

I have three schmidt/bender PMII scopes all have the P4F reticles. Two of them are 5-25x56 with mil-adjustments. The 4-16x42 has moa adjustments. I prefer the mil-mil myself.

Currently using Mil-Dots, but once I get the money, that will change, as I plan on using the NF scopes with the MOAR reticles.

I hunt and shoot tactical precision matches and run MOA. I have two USO scopes with .250 MOA windage and elevation Turrets and MOA reticles. I have the MOA scale reticle on one (IPHY) and the RDP MOA reticle on the other (True MOA) This works well for me. Some of my shooting partners have USO spotters with MOA reticles in them, they mostly run MOA as well which makes spotting for eachother easier since we are "speaking the same language". I carry a dope card in my cheek rest with my drops from 100 yards out to 100 yards in 5 yard increments. I also carry my data book in my pack as back up in case I lose the data stored on my rifle. One addtion I am planning on making this year is adding an angle cosine indicator on my scope to help make angled shots more quickly. Would have been handy to have last fall, missed a buck on opening day at 725 yards on a steep downhill shot (approximately 40 degrees) I dialed my 725 dope and held at the bottom of the deer and still shot over it. After doing the math later I should have dialed my 550 yard dope at that angle, would have been much quicker to come up with a more exact solution quickly had I had the ACI on the the side of the scope, I knew my POI would be high, but I felt I had "held under" enough to compensate for it....I was wrong!:D

I'm MOA all the way!

Ok, a question for the Mil users. Explain (as if I'm new to long range precision shooting) why you would select the Mil system over MOA? (other than the reasons: I aways have, my scope is a Mil scope, the military does it).

I'm MOA all the way!

Ok, a question for the Mil users. Explain (as if I'm new to long range precision shooting) why you would select the Mil system over MOA? (other than the reasons: I aways have, my scope is a Mil scope, the military does it).

Much easier to calculate.

I'm doing market research with my question. I'm an engineer, so i get the math. I'm more interested in the practical application and perceived advantages. My background has all been channeled in one direction, so I would like some perspective.

Perhaps adding a why to the thread question is not too out of line from the original intent?

What is a specific application where the MIL system is easier/faster/more precise, etc? I would like to understand, and I'm sure new shooters interested in the sport would be well served by a specific example to help them choose which way.

On mil to mil ffp scopes. Faster target acquisition.
If you see bullet impact at any given range due to elevation or windage changes you just make the mil adjustment and its there.:cool:

On mil to mil ffp scopes. Faster target acquisition.
If you see bullet impact at any given range due to elevation or windage changes you just make the mil adjustment and its there.:cool:

I hoped this thread would die, but you just push it:D I say this though, you answer should be a sticky, all those posts and it took just one sentence to explain it.:D have a nice day!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.