What system, MOA or Mil, do you use?

Do you use MOA or MIL

• MIL

Votes: 277 27.2%
  • MOA

Votes: 741 72.8%

• Total voters
A range finder is always good to have but having the ability to range your target through your scope is nice to have if you have to take a shot on the fly. Oh and 3000 yards huh? Wow your one hell of a shot.

A long range shot you need to range "on the fly" Let me get this straight. You range running animals? That seems like a task in itself.

Yeah 3000 is a stretch for this week, I have only been to a mile a couple times and 2500 once. But I did connect on the 2500 rock from my yard.

Ok, young warrior. Go get em.

Jeff

Last edited:
Nobody said the moa scopes are bad I just stated that for long range shooting the mrad scopes have more capability. Also I only recommended a FFP scope if you are going to use an mrad scope that away your subtensions will always be the same. A range finder is always good to have but having the ability to range your target through your scope is nice to have if you have to take a shot on the fly. Oh and 3000 yards huh? Wow your one hell of a shot.

Better check out the ELR forum section buddy... I personally would love to shoot that far, but the east coast doesn't facilitate that very well... And yes, there are people that CAN do that... No disrespect meant.

Better check out the ELR forum section buddy... I personally would love to shoot that far, but the east coast doesn't facilitate that very well... And yes, there are people that CAN do that... No disrespect meant.

I have no doubt that there are people that can and do shoot that far. Broz might be one of those guys, I dont know that. I do not understand why I can not give my opinion with out back lash. I prefer the Mrad scopes over the MOA scopes and I gave my reasons why. I never said that I hated MOA scopes. But if you are going to have a mildot reticle then I think you should have Mrad turrets and a FFP scope for the fact that the subtensions will be the same no matter what magnification you are on, which is very important. A SFP scope is what most hunting style scopes are and they are great scopes but I dont like the fact that a 4-12 power scope with a BDC reticle will only work on a certain power, most of the time 10 power, for the hold over to be correct. I mean if I am wrong with the facts I am giving then please correct me but if you are going to be butt hurt just because I did not choose glorify the MOA SFP scopes then STFU. I realize that MOA is a much easier system to learn for us none metric system using Americans but IMO it is not the better system.

If you are hunting only and will never shoot farther than 4 or 500 yards then get the MOA scope.

You most certainly are entitled to your opinion. But the above quote was what I called you on. It is wrong. It implies that you can't shoot well farther than "4 or 500 yards" with a MOA scope. So maybe you can re-read it and see why when I hunt with SFP / MOA only, and we take game with one shot kills regularly past 1000 yards, practice past 2000 yards often, that I disagree with what you posted. It is wrong and could confuse a beginner that may not know the difference yet.

I hear a lot that people use the FFP's so the sub-tensions are the same on all powers. So they can turn them down and still use the reticle for holdover. Well the fact is that many, especially lower cost FFp's when you turn the reticle down past 1/2 power you cant even see the tiny reticle. And if you can, buy the time you figure out what tiny line to use, this fleeing fast shot you need to take, is long gone or you missed from using the wrong line.

Every scope has it's place. But if you come on here, a site fulled with long range and ELR shooter saying you should not use a MOA SFP for shots past 500,,,, well that is just ridiculous. For crying out loud, the most popular long range scope you can get is a Nightforce 5.5~22 NXS in SFP / MOA.

Nobody is picking on you. Just keeping things in perspective.

Jeff

I use mil retical with mil turrets. I find it to be a fast follow up shot. If I see it hits a mil low then I dial a mil up and I am on. No converting anything. I also like the retical to range targets, if you know the target size.

One point that I do agree with is that MIL scopes should have MIL-based adjustments, and ditto for MOA. First focal plane vs. second focal plane doesn't bother me... F or SFP I usually figure out what value the subtensions are at different powers, so that I can tweak the power ring for the reticle to match the drop if need be for more precision. Depends on the scope's power range and target distance though.

I use mil retical with mil turrets. I find it to be a fast follow up shot. If I see it hits a mil low then I dial a mil up and I am on. No converting anything. I also like the retical to range targets, if you know the target size.

The same could be said for a MOA scope.......anybody can walk a bullet onto target but what most here strive for is that first shot cold bore to be on target.

I use MOA for the time being as it is easiest for me to do in my head... And I have MOA turrets... And the wind formula I use is in MOA... I know a good wind formula for MILS as well... So I may change in the future if I pick up a MIL Dot reticle in my next scope. Right now just using the Nikon BDC reticle, cuz I am a broke shooter. Making the cheap stuff work for me...

moa and mills are just units of measure. you can range with moa just the same as mill Distance to Target(Yards) = Height of Target (inches)Image Size(MOA) * 95.5
but why bother when there are so many lr finders out there. If you don't have the time to lazer it probally don't have the time to shoot an animal at lr, static targets are a different game. Have shot both and as long as you match your ret to the turets i did not feel an advantage or disadvantage to either one. learn what you got practice and rock on I would say.

just got my first mil dot scope last month. Haven't figured out mil dot system yet.
Scope also has BDC dials, so still using MOA.

Spend 30$ and order the MILDOT Master. It will get you dialed in. My fingers would fall off trying to type it all in for you. Simple system with lots of options.

Jimbo

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.