What Scope for my 338 Edge?

jfloat

Need opinions on a scope and recticle for my new Edge. 5.5-20x50 flavor not yet known.

Rifle
"what I have"
700 action
Bux barrel 28"
SSG brake
HS presicion stock
Timney trigger

"what I need"
Scope
Base
Rings
Advise

Since you didn't say what your budget is, ill assume. You're a millionaire. I would look real hard at the nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56(or 50) with the npr1 reticle. Get seekins or badger base and rings.

Since you didn't say what your budget is, ill assume. You're a millionaire. I would look real hard at the nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56(or 50) with the npr1 reticle. Get seekins or badger base and rings.

My suggestion exactly except I like the NPR-2 reticle. I won't make assumptions about your finances, but with a custom rifle, it is a shame to skimp on optics. Go with a kickass piece of glass for a kickass rifle. Anything less, and that's like a good lookin woman marrying an ugly SOB. It just doesn't fit.

I honestly don't know the difference between the better rails, rings, etc. but will assume that if they are made by NF, Badger, Seekins, etc., they are all very good quality. When I had Kirby build my canon, I trusted his judgement on what to use to mount my NF scope and I think he knows what he's doing.

Hopefully he or Shawn or one of the other builders will post their recommendation too.

Last edited:
We need much more information to make the best recommendation for optics on your new rifle.

Let's make it simpler, Sell it to my wife (cheap) and she can give it to me for Christmas or my birthday. That way optics will be MY problem, saving you all this anguish & saving my wife from figuring what might be "the right" gift!

If that doesn't work, & you still want to put optics on it, consider Nightforce the bottom-end for your search. Anyone using a .338 Edge means to reach WAY out & touch something, & you can only hit what you can see, so quality optics are mandatory. I would think a 5-20x50mm class scope would be the minimum for a .338 Edge. Knowing how your rifle will be used will define things from there. If you go above 20x & want to see under poor light bump up to a 56mm objective lens. The offset on your rail will depend on what scope you choose & what adjustment range it has.

I really like the Horus reticle that Nightforce is offering on the NXS scopes. It's alien to some since it's not what they grew up with, but for me it is simplicity personified. If I were to be given such a rifle, I know that's what I would put on it.

Wish I could offer more specifics but you didn't give us much info to go on.

I want to use the rifle for hunting Grizzly,Blacks,Moose,Bison,Caribou and Rocks out to 1500 yard

I have a 750 yard range in my back yard

I want to use the rifle for hunting Grizzly,Blacks,Moose,Bison,Caribou and Rocks out to 1500 yard

I have a 750 yard range in my back yard

Are you reffering the 'mine' just out of Sutton?

Anyway, I love my NXS 5.5-22x50 on my Edge. I prefer MIL/MIL, but there is nothing wrong with MOA/MOA combo's either. She also wears a Leupold Mark 4 on occasion when weight is a concern.

jfloat,
I put a S&B PMII 5-25x56 on my .338 RUM and love it. Its Light gathering ability is second to none. Premier retical makes very nice optics but I like my S&B better than the premier for hunting. My next scope I think will be a Hensholt. I may buy a Huskemaw in a day or two for a .264 build,But I would think you would want a NF @ a bare minimum on a nice shootstick like that.
Wayne.

If money is not an option then my hat goes to S&B or a US Optics. That is about the top you can own in optics, but I have been really hanker'in the Horus scopes lately if I had that kind of coin. They have a really nice ranging reticule.

Tank

I think a Nighforce 5.5-22x50mm w/zerostops and Npr1 reticle, Seekins 20 MOA base and Seekins rings would be a perfect combo for your build. If money is no object look at US Optics with Near base and rings.

Dan

+1 on the Nightforce, but go with a 40 MOA base and save yourself the money on the zero stop.

again edge, nf scope, whats another 200 for zero stop. i own 3 now and not looking back. I would make one phone call to jay at sport optics : nf 5.5 x 22 x50 npr-1 , nf 40 moa base, nf rings and done deal.
mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.