What scope do I put on my first custom rifle??

The only thing I don't like about the Zeiss Conquest is the 1" tube. I really want a 30mm tube, or am I being a little, you know...

I have a Conquest 4.5-14. It has great glass and it is lighter weight. I like it on a smaller type rifle. It does not have zero stop, the elevation,moar lighted reticle, turret feel, and the sturdiness of the Nightforce. And I forgot it is not a 454-460 horse. If price is a primary consideration buy the Conquest. Everybody should have the opportunity to drive a vette at least once in their life. I wish I had not waited so long.

I did look thru the Zeiss and the Rapid Z 800 reticle. It was thick!! I saw somewhere where Zeiss has a new thinner Rapid Z reticle. Is that true?? I didn't care for the one I looked thru though

I'm also looking at the Leupold's with either the Varmint or B&C reticle (non illuminated). I've read several articles on both reticles and it seems like the consensus is the B&C can be too thick for longer ranges and the Varmint might be too thin for large game.

The only thing I don't like about the Zeiss Conquest is the 1" tube. I really want a 30mm tube, or am I being a little, you know...

Nothing wrong with that thought. 3/16" (the approximate difference) is certainly worthy of consideration.
I have a Zeiss Conquest and I like it - but it's not in the same class as the Nightforce. I'm sorry you were disappointed in the Nightforce. Not that I own stock in the company, but that I find it to be the best scope in its class for the money. Just my two cents ........

I definitely wasn't disappointed in the Nightforce at all! I just wanna make sure I'm getting the correct scope for my needs. I gotta figure out exactly what I want out of this rifle. If money wasn't a big deal, I'd just send the rifle to Gunwerks and have them do the ballistics program on it and put a G7 on it and call it a day. I'm kinda excited though on doing the whole load development and dope, might not be the correct wording, myself with the help of my gunsmith. I liked the NXS both in the 3.5 and 5.5.

I have mentioned this before, but I would opt for the NXS 5.5 - 22 before the
3 -15. Reason is you can dial down the magnification, but can't dial up if more is necessary. Also, the weight is the same between the two models.

Jay you are way over thinking this. You put the money out to buy a custom(corvette). Why in the world would you want to put a four cylinder in it. It's like buying a Ferrari and putting a VW motor in it. Once again NXS #434. It is loaded with all the options. Absolutely no regrets.

Well I've narrowed it down to two scopes, both are discontinued I believe, the Nightforce NXS F1 3.5-15x50 and the Schmidt & Bender 4-16x50 Precision Hunter. You guys got any suggestions or comments on which one would be a better choice for hunting. They are both about the same price... I'm not gonna go with the higher magnification.

Well after careful consideration which was took a long enough dang time, I think I've finally decided to get the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 with MOAR reticle. This only issue with this decision is its a heavy scope and with the weight of the barrel (Remington Varmint) and overall weight of the rifle, this might be a heavy one for hunting purposes.

Whelp I still haven't decided on a scope, BUT a buddy of mine just offered me a brand new in the box Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 with #20 ZPlex reticle and locking turrets for a pretty good deal so I might go with that option. Could get the Kenton turrets for it once I do the load development...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.