What profile tube is your 1000 yd rig wearing?

porkchop401

I am putting together a dedicated or target/sit and wait gun in 7mm Rm . I am just curious what others are using. I will transport this rifle mainly buy UTV with the exception of the last few hundred yards with the absolute fartherest being a mile. Your preferences and suggested and appreciated.

I am putting together a dedicated or target/sit and wait gun in 7mm Rm . I am just curious what others are using. I will transport this rifle mainly buy UTV with the exception of the last few hundred yards with the absolute fartherest being a mile. Your preferences and suggested and appreciated.

Remington Varmint contours seem to be pretty popular. Stiff enough to allow accurate long range shooting, but light enough you can still pack it around easy enough.

I have a fluted #4 Lilja with on my 264 w.m. and it shoots really good

I second the #4. A 26" Krieger #4 is 3.5#. Fluting will shave off a half a pound.

action 2.5#

McMillian A3 2.5#. get it under 2 with edge technology.

scope 1.5#

right at 10#

Might save a pound with fluting and edge technology,

I second the #4. A 26" Krieger #4 is 3.5#. Fluting will shave off a half a pound.

action 2.5#

McMillian A3 2.5#. get it under 2 with edge technology.

scope 1.5#

right at 10#

Might save a pound with fluting and edge technology,

My 264 was right around 9 lbs cant remeber exactly what it was with a 26" #4 fluted lilja, a-3 edge sporter stock and huskemaw 5-20 I have since put a bipod on it and changed out the 5-20 for the 5-30 tactical so I'm sure its 10 lbs or more now

I wanted a barrel that would fill up the channel in the stock I had. So I went with a barrel that measured .926 at the muzzle. Its not bad to carry, weighs about 14 lbs as it sits.

Attachments

• SDC10168 (Large).JPG
    SDC10168 (Large).JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 104
Remington Varmint contours seem to be pretty popular. Stiff enough to allow accurate long range shooting, but light enough you can still pack it around easy enough.

All but a couple of my rifles are Sendero/Varmint contour. I have a couple of sporter-weight deer rifles for up to 500 yard hunting...The rest are all heavy barrels.

My M700 Remington has a Benchmark flutted light palma contour chambered in 300 win mag. With Greybull stock and NF NXS weighs about 11.5 pounds all up. Very shootable without a brake, and not bad to pack. I just finished a 6.5x284 in another Greybull with a Benchmark #5 fluted and a cuts weight about half a pound. Both shoot extremely well.

Muzzle OD between 0.750 - 0.875 seem to be the most popular for long range hunting rifles.

And I agree that the Rem Sendero/Varmint contour fits right in there.

You can fill in the gap on your fiberglass stocks with epoxy when you replace that water pipe with a thinner tube. I had that done on a sporter that I got a way too heavy barrel on years ago.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.