What problems with shallow seating in neck?

arthurj

Hey guys, I posted a good while back about trying to reach the lands with a factory chamber. You guys told me the general rule was to have no less than half the bullet diameter seated in the neck. The gun I am working with now is a .308 so that would mean I need at least .154 in the neck. When I stick the 175s .005 into the lands my groups at 500 go from around 4" down to around 2". But then there is only .1 of the bullet in the neck. Are there any safety concerns here with so little of the bullet in the neck, or am I good to go as long as it shoots good?

There is no problem with what you are doing. The only issue I can say is that if you are flirting with max loads, going into the lands can make things a little more chancy at having a "high pressure" experience. AND it's only a matter of time before you extract a case and leave the bullet in the barrel and spill rifle powder all over the inside of your action.

as long as you are not having problems with the bullet becoming off center (runout) then you wll probably be fine. I have a load that uses 90gr Hornady xtp pistol bullets in 300WM, and it has very very very little bullet in the case.
Even if there was a chance of the bullet being moved around upon chambering (if this is a load to be fed from a magazine) id still use it in a singleshot manner. To me, a 100% better group is worth the trouble in just about all instances.

Ok thanks a lot guys. Kraky, that has been a concern for me, I'm sure one day I will dump a charge into my chamber. As long as it is safe, the accuracy is worth the risk of sticking bullet and dumping the charge every once in a while. I also reworked my load where there are no high pressure signs at all. Abinok, in some of the responses to the post I referenced to, somebody mentioned that their runout increased when very little of a bullet was in the neck. I guess I am lucky because the 20 rounds I just put on the spinner averaged .0005 to .0015 runout, good enough for me.
Thanks

Arthurj.

Checking run outs on your loaded ammo is what you need to do but also remember that if you run your ammo from the magazine when using the rifle, you have a great likelyhood of inducing bullet run out from the stresses of forcing the cartridge over the feed ramp and out of the magazine.

This becomes more critical the shallower the bullet is seated into the case neck, obviously because there is less physical grip on the bullet by the case neck.

Cycle some ammo through your rifle, in a safe place with the muzzle in a safe direction with the safety on.

Measure the run outs before and after you cycle the ammo though the rifle and see if there is any run out induced by cycling the round.

Also check to make sure the bullet is not seated deeper into the case. This will not cause any dangerous situations but it will result in velocity and accuracy variations and can also be a result of shallow seating depth combined with a relatively light neck tension level.

If your running a single shot, disrequard this post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.