what powder to use in my custom .308

mastercaster

hi guys i am new to forum and new to long range shooting. i have been shooting in the 600 yrd rang for a little over a year. i am making my own loads and was wondering what powder to use in my .308 i just built. its a mauser receiver with a .308 bull barrel at 20" long with a 10-1 twist. i am shooing match king 150gr bullets. thanks for the help i will post pictures of the build latter.

First i would switch bullets to some thing like the 178 amax or such. then i would get some varget. 600 will get boring after a while

First i would switch bullets to some thing like the 178 amax or such. then i would get some varget. 600 will get boring after a while

600 is boring when you hit a 10" still plate every time. i just have no place to shoot over the that distance where i live. its all woods and some small fields. i had to cut trees down between fields just to make the 600 mark. then i was to my nabors land.

175SMK's (sierra) and a 44gr charge of varget in a winchester case is a sure winner.

Been loading 308 since 1989. There are 3 powders that are my favorites: Reloder 15, Varget, and IMR4064.

IMR4064 has produced the best repeated results time and time again in the 308s I've loaded for, including my newest Sako action, Obermeyer cut-rifled barrel.

If I was restricted to one powder for the 308 it would be IMR4064 w/o question.

IMR Powder Profiles: IMR 4064

Cooper Firearms Model 54 Jackson Hunter Review | Big Game Hunt

cooper-jackson-hunter-1.jpg

the above target is a 308 with 168 Sierra MKs and IMR4064. I don't have a pic here on my work computer of my 308 targets but this target sums up my experience with 2 of the 308s I load.

How far does that little ragged hole move with a 50 degree shift in temperature?

hi guys i am new to forum and new to long range shooting. i have been shooting in the 600 yrd rang for a little over a year. i am making my own loads and was wondering what powder to use in my .308 i just built. its a mauser receiver with a .308 bull barrel at 20" long with a 10-1 twist. i am shooing match king 150gr bullets. thanks for the help i will post pictures of the build latter.

Up the bullet weight to something more wind friendly. I use R15 in my 308 its safe for gas guns and bolt actions. Where are you from and where do you shoot?

Jon

Been loading 308 since 1989. There are 3 powders that are my favorites: Reloder 15, Varget, and IMR4064.

IMR4064 has produced the best repeated results time and time again in the 308s I've loaded for, including my newest Sako action, Obermeyer cut-rifled barrel.

If I was restricted to one powder for the 308 it would be IMR4064 w/o question.

IMR Powder Profiles: IMR 4064

Cooper Firearms Model 54 Jackson Hunter Review | Big Game Hunt

cooper-jackson-hunter-1.jpg

the above target is a 308 with 168 Sierra MKs and IMR4064. I don't have a pic here on my work computer of my 308 targets but this target sums up my experience with 2 of the 308s I load.

I think I might just try that load. It looks real good. Best group I have so far is .23". What primers are you using in this load and are you basing your seating depth to your lands? How far off of them are you seating your rounds?
Thanks

I like the Berger Hybrid 168 (.519 G1, .266 G7). It has a higher BC than any of the 175 bullets. Can't beat it unless you use the 178 Hornady BTHP. In my 18" barrel .308 I am getting 2571fps Avg with Alliant Power Pro 2000MR. I'm using Norma brass, Wolf primers.

How far does that little ragged hole move with a 50 degree shift in temperature?

I'm trying to remember if I have had that experience but honestly cannot remember. I do the bulk of my load development in fall and spring when temps are typically cooler anyway. Trying my best to recall, my best guess is that I've not shot the load under a 50 degree temp change, so I don't know.

My data shows the vast majority of my load development is during temps of 30-45 degrees. It's rare I'll shoot when temps are above 70 and I've never hunted with or shot the 308 when it was -5 or colder.

I think I might just try that load. It looks real good. Best group I have so far is .23". What primers are you using in this load and are you basing your seating depth to your lands? How far off of them are you seating your rounds?
Thanks

Fed 210M primers. Bullets 0.005 off lands.

I ONLY use Federal match primers. By far the most repeatable, consistent primers I've ever used/experienced.

Up the bullet weight to something more wind friendly. I use R15 in my 308 its safe for gas guns and bolt actions. Where are you from and where do you shoot?

Jon

i live in upstate NY like 40 minutes from Canada. i shoot out back of my house where i have a lot of land but most of it is woods and little fields. i had to cut trails for field to field to make a 600 yard shooting rang.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.