What is your preference for trigger type and pull weight for long range hunting?

I just starting to use TriggerTech trigger. I tried one last year, before setting up to have a trigger placed into the rifle I was having built. They are my go to trigger now. I have several other trigger in my rifles. The only problem with triggerTech is they don't built for a lot of different rifles. Otherwise I would work towards have all my trigger replace with them. I several different action that TriggerTech doesn't build for. I like trigger at 1lbs or so. Can't get all triggers to do that. I hardly purchase a firearm that I don't get a trigger job on it coming out of the shop. I've been using lighten trigger from the 70's. Single stage triggers only.

I set all my triggers in the 1.0-1.5# range. But, I don't chamber a cartridge until I am about to point the rifle and I am very careful when my finger goes for the trigger...especially when it is cold out.

I like 2lbs for everything. I have really enjoyed the 2 stage trigger on my Tikka TacA1, it gives me a better feel when marrying up to the trigger. One thing I've grown to prefer is little overtravel, it provides some cushion to prevent crushing the trigger. I used to believe no perceived overtravel was ideal, but with proper follow through I have found it to be unnecessary. A hard stop after the trigger break can put unnecessary movement into the rifle causing flyers. My opinion is that the feel of the trigger is more important than the pressure required to break the shot.

I personally think 2.5lbs and over is too heavy for accuracy. I try to get things around 1-1.5lbs for hunting rifles. Some triggers aren't capable of that. If I had customs and Remington actions I'd be going with trigger tech. The few of felt and shot with were nice, they were factory triggers in Christensen rifles. They were the type that wouldn't adjust below 2.5lbs though. I've told one of the owners, since he shot one of mine that was around 13oz and loved it, to look into one of their other models. For me, because I'm limited with brands due to having non-Remington style actions, I've had good luck with Timney triggers.

My LR hunting triggers range in the 1.5 to 2# range, single stage, zero over travel and creep. Varmint rifles are in the 8oz to 1.5# range, and my BR rifles run from 2oz to 8oz. LR hunting and depending on game/season, I may or may not be wearing gloves or have cold fingers, so I do not like my triggers in the "ounce" range for that.

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
I think a decent/upgraded trigger is one of the best investments. I like tigger tech and run them in most of my rifles. I haven't tried Bix'n Andy but heard good things. I have tried Timney and they are good triggers, but I like the feel of the trigger tech better. I use the Special and Diamond and set them right around a pound. Some argue that's too light for a hunting rifle. But if you practice a lot in preparation, and don't carry one in the chamber (I don't), you will be fine with a light trigger. Go with what you shoot best!

I personally think 2.5lbs and over is too heavy for accuracy. I try to get things around 1-1.5lbs for hunting rifles. Some triggers aren't capable of that. If I had customs and Remington actions I'd be going with trigger tech. The few of felt and shot with were nice, they were factory triggers in Christensen rifles. They were the type that wouldn't adjust below 2.5lbs though. I've told one of the owners, since he shot one of mine that was around 13oz and loved it, to look into one of their other models. For me, because I'm limited with brands due to having non-Remington style actions, I've had good luck with Timney triggers.
Don't tell that to us old Nat'l Match shooters who, by reg, had to use 4.5# or higher triggers. ;)

You guys can say what you want about needing light triggers, but I hunt with 2-2.5lb triggers. My buddies are going to the 10oz triggers we use in competition, but I can't do it. I have had a premature fire on a deer I ran down, because I couldn't hardly feel trigger. I had the reticle on the deer, but my jacket was bunching up under the butt of the gun. I moved my elbow to unbunch the jacket, and it went off. Thankfully, I learned a long time ago, not to put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to shoot, and aim small, miss small, therefore I still killed my game. However, it opened my eyes. After running through the woods to reach an ambush point, because my prey had alluded me through the fog at my stand, my adrenaline was pumping, and that trigger got super light. Just remember that as you choose a trigger weight.

I have typically hunted with triggers in the 1.7 to 3 lb range that are fairly consistent 0.2 lb variance. But with the desire to hunt at longer ranges is the cost of better triggers able to consistently reproduce a very light trigger less than a lb with non detectable variance in the pull a worthwhile investment? Thanks James
i side with XLR here. about 1.5 lbs on hunting rifles or combo rifles. on a dedicated match rifle .5 to 1 lb. i am not partial to tge name on the trigger as kong as it is reliable and consistent!

You guys can say what you want about needing light triggers, but I hunt with 2-2.5lb triggers. My buddies are going to the 10oz triggers we use in competition, but I can't do it. I have had a premature fire on a deer I ran down, because I couldn't hardly feel trigger. I had the reticle on the deer, but my jacket was bunching up under the butt of the gun. I moved my elbow to unbunch the jacket, and it went off. Thankfully, I learned a long time ago, not to put my finger on the trigger until I was ready to shoot, and aim small, miss small, therefore I still killed my game. However, it opened my eyes. After running through the woods to reach an ambush point, because my prey had alluded me through the fog at my stand, my adrenaline was pumping, and that trigger got super light. Just remember that as you choose a trigger weight.
AMEN!

TriggerTech for sure if available for the rifle. If under ~1-1/2 I prefer a two stage so I can "cover" the trigger when cold or adrenaline pumping and not send a round unintentionally. My chassis/yote/varmint rifle is that light and a TriggerTech Diamond two stage. My hunting rifles are heavier in the 2lb range. TriggerTech feels ~1/2lb lighter than it is FWIW.

A single stage trigger that breaks crisply between 2-4 lbs. I set all of mine to 2.5 lbs for consistency. Crisp always beat light weight.

I don't recommend that weight for most hunters unless they're highly experienced. Suprised by a bull that pops up at 40 yards an excited, gloved hunter with a ~2-3 lbs trigger weight is a recipe for trouble.

I don't care what make it is although when I have replaced fire control units in my rifles I've stuck with Timney Elite Hunters which I've never found wanting.

I shoot single stage triggers because it's all I have ever known and my preference is for a 2.5 lb trigger pull. I use TriggerTech and BixnAndy triggers and like both. I like the break on the Bix better but suspect that the TT are more rugged which is why I have a TT on my hunting rifle.