What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

I think the approach here is backwards. If the subject is efficiency at long range, then consider what amount of energy you're looking for, at what range you want that energy and then go to the ballistic tables and find the cartidge that gives you the energy at X. yards. For a purely intellectual exercise, limiting the problem to only .30 caliber is okay but if you want to be "ethical" [please don't begin an argument that you can be ethical with many different calibers] then you look at the end product you want and use that. In other words, the heaviest bullet with the most velocity "reduced" by personal factors such as size and weight and recoil tolerance. Think about it.

I've pushed the 30cal 250gr Hornady A-tip to just under 3000fps without pressure signs in a 300PRC with a 31" tube built on a Savage 112 Action. Pretty decent accuracy so far. Will hold .3moa to a 1000yds if I do my part in cold weather. Have not had the chance to push it out further yet. My 300wm pushing 210 bergers @ 2980fps was consistent out to 1500m but I couldn't touch the mile plate. It was around 30° F that day. I did however have hits at a mile with my 338 lapua pushing 250gr Scenars @ 3000fps. I do believe my 300prc will do this with no problems when I get a chance. The 250 A-TIP has a very good Bc and out of my set up has been under estimated. My calculations are putting me 30" high @ a 1000yds. I had to mess with the bc and fps to get the dial to match.

I have rifles in five different 30 caliber cartridges. Each one is set up for different purpose. Love them all. Wouldn't mind having the rest.

I've pushed the 30cal 250gr Hornady A-tip to just under 3000fps without pressure signs in a 300PRC with a 31" tube built on a Savage 112 Action. Pretty decent accuracy so far. Will hold .3moa to a 1000yds if I do my part in cold weather. Have not had the chance to push it out further yet. My 300wm pushing 210 bergers @ 2980fps was consistent out to 1500m but I couldn't touch the mile plate. It was around 30° F that day. I did however have hits at a mile with my 338 lapua pushing 250gr Scenars @ 3000fps. I do believe my 300prc will do this with no problems when I get a chance. The 250 A-TIP has a very good Bc and out of my set up has been under estimated. My calculations are putting me 30" high @ a 1000yds. I had to mess with the bc and fps to get the dial to match.
Pushing the A tips will make it easy. You may want to try the 230's since you're pushing the 300 PRC that hard! What's your brass life? Not that I care really. But that's hot!

My 300 PRC pushes the 230's around 2900's or below with 28" of love.

But the warbird is just sweet!

Get out to a mile, it's a beautiful feeling

Pushing the A tips will make it easy. You may want to try the 230's since you're pushing the 300 PRC that hard! What's your brass life? Not that I care really. But that's hot!

My 300 PRC pushes the 230's around 2900's or below with 28" of love.

But the warbird is just sweet!

Get out to a mile, it's a beautiful feeling
I actually did switch to the 230bergers pushing them @ 3000fps. Very good accuracy. I couldn't find 250 Atips so I had to switch. I had 4 firings on factory Hornady brass and still tight primer pockets. Then my Lapua brass showed up. Just finished fire forming. The Op had asked about 30cal for ELR. I think the 300prc with a good tube pushing a 230-250 has potential. Here's mine, 1.25" 31" bull spiral fluted on a cheap Savage Action and a cheap Choate stock. Shoots very well.

Attachments

• 20210211_120918.jpg
    20210211_120918.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
I agree. I have all components from brass, dies, scope etc. but the gun. Looking for a gun, or gonna build one soon. Any help would be appreciated.
I have owned 3 Weatherby Mark V's, and all were at half MOA or better. The one I kept from the Sheridan plant has a factory installed Kreiger barrel, with and AG Composite Chalk Branch stock. Shoots ALL factory loaded ammo under 1/2 MOA, but mostly 1/4 MOA.
Look for a Mark V Accumark or a Mark V Elite.
If you are looking to build one, my strong opinion would be for you to have the Sheridan plant build you one to your specs!
30-378 WBY IS STILL THE KING OF THEM ALL IN FACTORY OFFERINGS!

If you could get any powder, primer, brass, bullet, dies, etc. etc. etc....... including action, barrels..... blah blah blah.
Who cares about factory cartridges or easy to find. This is about ELR/Reloading.

What is The Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR and reloading?
I'd agree with the 30-338. I personally have a hunting rifle platform in a custom- made wildcat (Kirby Allen made it & named it a 300AX). It is a fire formed 338 Lapua case, necked to 30 cal. His name for this caliber/rifle is a 300 AX. I have shot it out to 1 mile with a 210 grain Berger VLD Hunting at 3112 FPS. Also have a 200 gr Nosler Accubond at 3330 fps, a very Versatile hunting rifle, not a heavy "bench" rifle! I'd second guess that a 30/338 would be an "over the counter" similar performer except for the velocity numbers.