What is THE Ultimate 30cal Cartridge for ELR/Reloading?

take the savage 112 magnum target (it's a single shot bolt action .338 lapua) and re barrel it.
That was my logic in buying mine. Great rifle, for an out of the box factory gun it shoots well enough the original barrel is still on it, haven't gotten around to either of the improved 30s I thought I'd go to. So if you can find one for sale it's worth jumping on even if you can't go nuts with a new chambering now.

Find the largest capacity, toughest case available; more capacity = more velocity.
Build it on an oversized action (Cheytac size) ported to relieve gas in a safe manner, a larger diameter barrel than normal for 30 cal and a bolt that is sealed against gas leakage in the event of a blow out. Bartlein gain twist with 5R LH twist in the appropriate rate for your projectile.

A good YouTube channel to check out for ulr and elr is Markandsam afterwork. It's a husband and wife rifle team that custom builds there own parts and gets into pretty good detail on reloading and rifle setup.

Another vote for the 300 Norma mag. Easy to load for with multiple powder and bullet combinations. Longer barrel life than your RUM's and Nosler's. Can now be had in lighter weight Ti actions so no difference than long action weight For those that want to hump in the mountains.

That was my logic in buying mine. Great rifle, for an out of the box factory gun it shoots well enough the original barrel is still on it, haven't gotten around to either of the improved 30s I thought I'd go to. So if you can find one for sale it's worth jumping on even if you can't go nuts with a new chambering now.
I really like my 112 magnum. A fat bastard brake, Peterson brass, sat way out 250mk(for now) 98grains of n570, a touch over 3kfps and basically half moa(when I'm not screwing it up)

I like my 30 nosler and my 300 rum or my 338 LM they will do anything and everything for me in hunting good luck in finding what's best for you
Lots of good ones out there. I use to think it would be hard to beat the 300WM but my throated 30 Nosler is awesome. 215hybrid @ almost 3100FPS. Less than 1/2 moa without an enormous amount of powder. Hard to beat

Lazzeroni Warbird. No other answers needed.
In considering the longest range hunting cartridge in 30 caliber, there are a few things to consider. The larger the boiler, the more steam. The more steam, the more velocity. The more velocity, the more energy. The remaining energy at any given distance is related to muzzle velocity and bullet weight. To shoot a 300 grain 30 caliber bullet as fast as a 150 grain 30 caliber bullet is not really possible. With a large case, such as the 378 Weatherby necked down 30 caliber, a 150 grain bullet can achieve 3600 fps. It takes the 240 grain a long distance to catch the velocity and energy of the 150 grain and even much more so if shooting 125 grain at 4050fps because the 240 has a much lower muzzle velocity. There are several large capacity cases to consider, but brass availability needs to be considered as well. Weatherby brass has been easier to acquire in times past, and the 30-378 has 133 grains of water capacity. The Lazzeroni Warbird has 120 grains capacity. The Remington ultra mag case will provide essentially the same ballistics as the big Weatherby but good luck trying to find brass. 1st priority should be brass availability. I also recommend a cartridge in big Lapua cases. I also have a 338 Lapua improved and shoot 180 accubonds at 3800fps. I know this is supposed to be 30 caliber answers, but this cartridge seems to do it all, bullet performance and remaining energy. And Lapua brass has been somewhat available and is the best brass available. Out to 600 yards I have had the best luck with 30-378 and 125 ballistic tips, which most of my shots on deer are 600 and closer. Also have shot deer with a 338-378 shooting 300 grain bullets, but even at 800 yards the impact performance is lacking unless a shoulder hit, as bullet has tendency to pass through. My Weatherby reamers are made not to cut the big 1/4" jump to the rifling, which helps in accuracy, and with a quality 30" barrel, it provides very good groups. These are somewhat available, but there are bigger "exotic" chamberings such as Kirby Allen provides that may be a little more difficult to obtain and load for. There is a trade off. After a certain point, the increasing size of the cartridge becomes less efficient, and requires a lot more powder to gain a little more in velocity. But, the bigger the boiler room, the more steam.

my vote is a 300 Norma, Warbird... as stated earlier. I have had excellent results using the Warbird for several years. 150's up to 215's it is a MSM, Meat Seeking Missile as John used to call it.

300 Norma Mag improved
250g Hornady A-tip

I think anything bigger will have significant diminishing returns and will be more difficult to make consistent

.30-378 Wby Mag in a 28" inch gain twist barrel...I'm thinking that's about at the point of diminishing returns, perhaps slightly over. From what I understand the government, aka DARPA is still using that cartridge for research off and on, Roy had a very fertile mind for sure. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

Recent Posts