What is the deal with NO .410 Shot Shells.

Here is the trap. It's about 1 foot square by 2.5 to 3 feet long.There is no commercial scent or attractant available so what people do is if the catch one they will leave him in the trap a couple days to season it and then transfer him to your other traps so he can season it also. I would guess dragging a dead one through might help also. You can use boards around a hole to guide them into a trap and sets against walls or fences are also good. The key is the scent. A thermal or night vision scope on a 17 or 22 mag or even 223 with varmint bullets does well also. Infrared night vision works pretty well also but for me they are harder to spot with infrared.

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    574.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 61
Here is the trap. It's about 1 foot square by 2.5 to 3 feet long.There is no commercial scent or attractant available so what people do is if the catch one they will leave him in the trap a couple days to season it and then transfer him to your other traps so he can season it also. I would guess dragging a dead one through might help also. You can use boards around a hole to guide them into a trap and sets against walls or fences are also good. The key is the scent. A thermal or night vision scope on a 17 or 22 mag or even 223 with varmint bullets does well also. Infrared night vision works pretty well also but for me they are harder to spot with infrared.
Thank you
I did read that putting rotting wood in the trap works as bait. Something about rotting wood has insects and the armadillos look for that. I have placed rotting wood in Live Animal traps. , but never caught anything. We have a lot of Leg and Conibear Traps that used for Coyotes but can't set them because we have one outside Cat and our two pups. Will check with the Local Farmers Paper to see if anyone has traps like this. We also have some .410s coming our way to give to our neighbor.
Thanks again!!!
Len & Jill

They don't seem especially drawn to baits. Maybe the rotting wood makes them think of termites.

My friends in TN are lousy with them. I have heard of people having success using a low 'flower-bed fence' to guide armadillos into live traps. The flower-bed fence stands on its own and only requires sticking the bottom legs into the ground, and so is easy to place and move about.

You angle the fence across a travel zone. The armadillo hits the fence, turns and follows the path of least resistance along the fence and into the trap. Much like a pound net is used to catch fish. You could probably put a trap at each end on opposite sides and catch them coming and going.

Best results are with a double-door trap, but single-door traps can work too - armadillos don't see very well.

Thank you
I did read that putting rotting wood in the trap works as bait. Something about rotting wood has insects and the armadillos look for that. I have placed rotting wood in Live Animal traps. , but never caught anything. We have a lot of Leg and Conibear Traps that used for Coyotes but can't set them because we have one outside Cat and our two pups. Will check with the Local Farmers Paper to see if anyone has traps like this. We also have some .410s coming our way to give to our neighbor.
Thanks again!!!
Len & Jill
Though these traps may catch a cat or dog they will not harm whatever is caught. The ones in the picture are made with cypress and brass screws. Top of the line. But you can use slats on the sides. There's a lot of leeway on how to build them. The plantations I travel to to set sporting clays courses on are eat up with armadillos. I can't begin to tell you how many holes I have stepped in and if you have horses they can be quite dangerous. I'll see if I can get some exact dimensions as I know some guys on these plantations that build them. But as you can see they are simple. They must swim well also because I run into them on some coastal islands that I set courses and targets on.

We have been struggling since all this stuff started, only stuff we have found is personal stash stuff.
😡
Had a good friend AMU (Walter) send us many boxes of different shot size and Slugs in 2 1/2" case.
MANY MANY Thanks. Gave some to my neighbor to thin the herd of armadillos out. Will most likely hear some shot shortly this evening!

We don't have a .410 but always wanted to get a Rem 1100 in .410 with Chokes. My neighbor has been shooting Armadillos at night in his yard with a 100+ year old single shot .410. He is running out of .410 Ammo and asked us for some. I looked all over this area (East Ga) and no luck. there is everything from 28, 20, 12, and even some 16, but no .410.
Has the .410 Ammo shortage been going on a long time?
Have you ever looked at a Hatfield 410 semi??
I know that they are not a name brand but I picked one up a couple years ago and so far it's a awesome shooter

Check them out on line, you might be very surprised
I will right now.
Not much detail, but Turkish Walnut wood, ribbed 28" Barrel for $290. Didn't mention Chokes, but they can be tapped in. Don't know the finish, but can Cerakote if not Blued. Might have to get one If I sell some items.
I can refinish the wood to look like a K$, Jewel the bolt and Cerakote it for almost nothing, just my labor

Last edited:
I will right now.
Not much detail, but Turkish Walnut wood, ribbed 28" Barrel for $290. Didn't mention Chokes, but they can be tapped in. Don't know the finish, but can Cerakote if not Blued. Might have to get one If I sell some items.
I can refinish the wood to look like a K$, Jewel the bolt and Cerakote it for almost nothing, just my labor
Mine is blued, came with 4 chokes and the finish on the wood isn't super fancy but it's pretty nice.

Recent Posts