What is the best single stage press?

slewis12

Wonder how good the lyman crusher 2 press is? I'm thinking of getting one. I have been using a friends rock chucker whileihave been trying to figure out which one i want. Let me know guys.

"Best" is the hard part to define. Best is what works and fits your budget.

I have many presses including the new RCBS Summit some old Pacific/Hornady C presses, RCBS RS. Add a Lyman Turret, Lee H1000 progresive and Dillon 650XL.

The "Best" press for me is the one I use the most, the Lyman Turret.
The "Best" press for bullet tipping is the RCBS RS.
The "Best" press for decapping or other 'quick' work is the old Pacific.
The "Best" press for really honking on things is the Summit.

If I had to switch to one and only one press, it would be the Forster Co-Ax.

My RCBS RS is much more like a Lyman Crusher or RCBS Big Boss as it's the older style.

You can't go wrong with your Lyman choice. The only issue would be the same for any NEW press, manufacturing, assembly or shipping problems.

Crush on...

It seems to be a pretty consistent response on the forums that the forster co-ax is probably the best single stage press. Never used one, but been very happy with my redding big boss and hornady ap lnl progressive.

I wonder is it required to use the locking ring forester sells with your dies or can you use the one that comes with the hornady dies etc?

I've have always used RCBS products, my new rock chucker has been converted with a Hornady conversion kit for quick changeing of the dies when set up now have four different rifle rounds.
If anyone is interested these are the Hornady numbers #044099 rcbs converson press kit and #044093 die bushing kit.

I wonder is it required to use the locking ring forester sells with your dies or can you use the one that comes with the hornady dies etc?

I use the forester locking rings on my rcbs dies they are cheap come in a 10 piece set. But the one set of hornady I have seen look thick enough to maybe work.. the forester is worth every penny.

regular rock chucker here... never found a need for a turret.... If I had to buy one now I'd look at the Lyman... they make good stuff and I have a bunch of it, mostly casting stuff.

kind of depends on that shape of the lock ring more than anything else. Plus the actual dimensions too. I use mostly steel Lyman rings in my Co-Ax. The slot on my press seems to be on the minimum side in thickness, so can be a touch tight. Plus I prefer the lock ring to float a little bit. The Lyman ring is about .005" thinner, and has a similar bearing surface to absorb the pressures. One thing I do like about the Forster rings is that they are soft aluminum. This makes the rings wear instead of the slot in the press. Yet I've never noticed any wear on the Forster rings over the years.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.