What is the accuracy potential of ballistic tips??

flopduster

are they capable of maintaining 1/2 moa accuracy out to 1000yds??? Considering that they are not a true "match" quality bullet, how consistent are they? Specifically, I am using 168 ct ballistic tips for hunting and target shooting and am considering switching to Bergers. I only want to use one load and want to have the most accuracy I can get. Right now I am getting .75 to 1 moa groups to 700 yards off my bipod with the ballistic tips. I have a new stock coming this week in hopes of it helping the group sizes and also have a lee collet die I just picked up to help reduce my runout(and help groups hopefully). Am I handicapping myself with the BT's?? I am not shooting at 1000 yet as I will have to have a sloped base to get there but plan to.

thanks

I would guess that the BT would be an OK choice for a long range bullet since the AB is pretty popular. They are good bullets. It all depends on what the rifle likes.

I've shot more Ballistic Tips (BT) than I have Bergers. They are a heck of lot easier to "get to shoot" than most bullets, and cheaper. The bullet's not all thats involved in shooting 1/2" MOA at any distance, especially 1000 yards. Rifle and shooter must be able to go the distance. JohnnyK.

the 180's BT for me hold .5moa out to 850yds if I do my part, I'm trying to get 210 bergers to shoot for me now, very finicky for me

Travis

What BountyHunter said......

in 270 Cal Wildcat the 150 BTs and 140 NABs shoot so close together that I haven't been able to measure the difference at long range. Last 3 shot group on a perfectly windless day @ 773 yards was right at 2.5 inches. There is no reason why consistency shout drop off at longer distances.....

have never saw ballistic tips get worse as range increased, some vld's get better as range increases but BT's, if your rifle likes them will not get worse. If they shoot good to 700 why would they get worse?
RR

I find them (Blistic tip and accubonds )second to none for hunting and very close
to the SMKs at longer ranges.

J E CUSTOM

The 100 gr ballistic tips I'm shooting in my 25-06 don't have the bc to be an effective 1000 killer but I am incredibly satisfied with their performance out to 500 yards. They are grouping .5" at 200 and just under 2" at 500. I've only shot one deer at 130 yards but it did the job very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.