What is it with Weatherby's...?

Compared to say Norma 375 H&H it's not priced high. Norma is just plain expensive, however it's good, I use it in several calibers such as 270 WSM. When you consider the amount of junk you get in Winchester brass and have to cull these days the cost looks not so out of line. Watch for what you are looking for you will find deals at the big houses occasionally.

Morning. I own a 340 wea. I bought a box of empty tiger brass old style box. They were tarnished so I ran the brass thru the walnuts.
I wiped the residue from the brass
I started prepping the brass for loading. I bloused the mouth of the case. deburred.
I was checking the primer holes running the brass thru the primer pocket deburring station, I have a RCBS electric station. When I put the reamer into the emply case and the reamer found the primer hole. I noticed that the primer hole in the empty cases was smaller than a normal?? I had to put a small amount of pressure on the case so the reamer would enter the primer hole. Then I took the case of the primer hole reamer turned
the case around and did the other side of the primer hole to remove any shavings. I did notice the case bottom(web) was thicker because of the magnum caliber of the brass.
I also own a custom 257Wea. When I preppedgun) this brass the primer hole was good. I still ran the brass thru the primer station.
I load a large variety of calibers all mine and have never run into this situation.

Any input would b absorbed. Thank U

I was a Weatherby fan boy until I started reloading and figured out you can get to their level with a lot less. These overbore cartridges were developed long before turrets and BDC reticles became the norm. Now, I could care less about a 100 fps advantage because I can compensate with my optic. Accuracy is everything.

your math is so flawed that a third grader would pick it up instantly. Looking at 190 grain bullets in the Hornaday manual, I see a max load in the .300 Ultra mag as about 92 grains of powder and the WBY mag with the same bullet is about 75 grains. Both are over bore, but one is ridiculous. All that for 100fps!

Now lets look at the cases. The WBY brand cases a known to be made by Norma, and that's top quality in anybody's book. Primer pockets are machined from the factory. Wby. doesn't seem to shy away from bullets as well. They use almost nothing but the very best out there. Now compare that Remington case with the Weatherby.

By the way the .300 WBY mag is often regarded as one of the best 1000 yard cartridges made. Never heard that about the Ultra Mag.
gary

One other thing about weatherby is no mann how much I tried to reproduce the velocity of what a factory weatherby round was getting out of my rifle I could never get it reloading. My 257 was right at 3400fps 115 grain bucket, Best reload was 3340 to 3345fps. I tried several types of powders and never could get to 3400 fps. I pulled one of there bullets apart one day and as I poured out the powder it looked like there was 2 types of powder in the cartridge. one powder was a much shorter grain than the other. The much shorter was only a small amount compared to the main. So whose to know maybe they do load 2 types together as there proprietary recipe to produce that much velocity.

Morning. I own a 340 wea. I bought a box of empty tiger brass old style box. They were tarnished so I ran the brass thru the walnuts.
I wiped the residue from the brass
I started prepping the brass for loading. I bloused the mouth of the case. deburred.
I was checking the primer holes running the brass thru the primer pocket deburring station, I have a RCBS electric station. When I put the reamer into the emply case and the reamer found the primer hole. I noticed that the primer hole in the empty cases was smaller than a normal?? I had to put a small amount of pressure on the case so the reamer would enter the primer hole. Then I took the case of the primer hole reamer turned
the case around and did the other side of the primer hole to remove any shavings. I did notice the case bottom(web) was thicker because of the magnum caliber of the brass.
I also own a custom 257Wea. When I preppedgun) this brass the primer hole was good. I still ran the brass thru the primer station.
I load a large variety of calibers all mine and have never run into this situation.

Any input would b absorbed. Thank U

Morning, part of my question was answered. yes weatherby does use the very best components. but in this particular case the tiger box brass the primer flash hole was smaller in size? federal brass at times have bad flash holes, I do not look at each case I auto run the brass thru the primer station. I follow the same procedure with all brass. gun)

your math is so flawed that a third grader would pick it up instantly. Looking at 190 grain bullets in the Hornaday manual, I see a max load in the .300 Ultra mag as about 92 grains of powder and the WBY mag with the same bullet is about 75 grains. Both are over bore, but one is ridiculous. All that for 100fps!

Now lets look at the cases. The WBY brand cases a known to be made by Norma, and that's top quality in anybody's book. Primer pockets are machined from the factory. Wby. doesn't seem to shy away from bullets as well. They use almost nothing but the very best out there. Now compare that Remington case with the Weatherby.

By the way the .300 WBY mag is often regarded as one of the best 1000 yard cartridges made. Never heard that about the Ultra Mag.
gary
Manuals aren't perfect, and I've seen flawed numbers in some of them as well (the Hornady 9th Edition manual being one of them...It's sitting on my shelf as we speak). Remember, some barrels are faster, some are slower. Who's to say the people who write the manual's data didn't have a fast barreled Wby, and a slow barreled RUM?

Just saying that we don't always know the circumstances behind each different manual's load data...

is it more than 26 or 28 nosler or 6.5-284?

The proper size of a cartridge primer flash hole is .0785 a #45 drill bit or .081 a #46 drill bit. The 308 has 2 size primer flash holes a large and a small. These r the nominal sizes. To small of a primer flash hole causes delayed powder ignition. I read this on Shooters Forum. Very interesting information. Look under primer flash holes.

I picked up about six boxes of the tiger stripe 340 years ago loaded w/200 spitz,$20 box.Reloaded them I use flash hole uniformer,cant say I remeber how it fit but I have ten reloads on some that brass and many loads 91-92 gr 7828 compressed w fed 215.Lots dead elk,deer,bears and yotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts