What is a Really Good Hunting Knife

@Small Lady

A little diversion from your request. Most of guys I shoot and hunt with here TX already have their favorite knives. But, a great number of them don't have a saw in their pack.

If the guys in your life are into breaking through the pelvic bone and the chest, this little guy works very well. Typical Japanese product, it is made very well.

Silky Professional Series PocketBoy Curved Blade Folding Saw 130mm Large Teeth (726-13) Amazon product ASIN B077Z3KKSR
I just got one of those, but the 170 and for cutting firewood for my titanium stove. It seems to be a pretty nice saw, haven't put it to use yet though.

Many good suggestions on here. I would point out you should look at the quality of the scabbard also when you purchase since it will be belt carried. Sometimes they wear out before the knife. I personally carry a Buck when hunting and a Gerber day to day but that is a folder. I used to live near the Buck factory and toured it ages ago. This is my second Buc knife in 60 years only because I lost the first one. My fault, forgot to clasp the snap after gutting the deer. Holds an edge well.

I have several custom knives BUT the prices for a Herron or Pendelton have gone through the roof!
Just look at knife sites and decide... members of the Knifemakers Guild are pretty good!
The Pendleton models from Cold Steel are really nice, sharp and reliable. I have several.

Helle Knives out of Sweden make unbelievable knives. The one I own is scary sharp, retains an edge forever, and is the best skinner I've ever owned.
I also have some great knives by Buck, Benchmade and Cold Steel. The Cold Steel knife is the best value in my opinion
A good friend of mine owns some Chris Reeve Knives that are just awesome, too.

Attachments

• 1FBB2718-9A9D-4032-8C26-048B95A4FF0F.jpeg
    1FBB2718-9A9D-4032-8C26-048B95A4FF0F.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 36
There are as many knives as stars in the sky - my experience has been a drop point style, shorter for deer, a bit longer for Elk seem to be the nicest feel inside the animal. My go to Elk knife is a Dozier Elk Hunter - long and thin for the back-end work.

I guess the question comes down to are you look going for great, easy functional cutting knives or more of a higher end custom knife.

In the middle ground….I think Old Timer's made in the USA are gone. Buck makes some nice knives made in the USA. There are others. I forget. I like made in the USA, S30V, fixed blade, a straight gentle curve edge shape that is easy to sharpen.

Good cutting, functional, hold an edge for a long time, good grip not slippery, good sheath for carrying it.
The guys here carry a knife daily, I want to get them a good knife to carry. What works for me, likely won't be good for them, as my hands are much smaller. I admit to buying 6 knives before finding the one I like.

I have too many knives to mention here, but my top from the ones I own are:
1st pic- custom knife made here in S Alabama. Heaviest knife for the size I own.
2nd pic - Frontier knife (I found this knife on the ground in the 80's on public land parking area. Bought the sweet little sheath to go with it.
Also have several Uncle Henry knives, made in USA. You can still buy them on EBay. Used the folding hunter for over twenty years. Skinned enough game to fill a tractor trailer.
Have a Benchmade Hidden Canyon, son just got the Saddle Mtn. Good knives
Have an Esse that I really like, not sure of the model, bought back when they were a steal, under a hundred bucks, now most are 200 and over. But they are good knives!

Have a couple Gerbers, but they are tactical knives I have attached to kit. As with Buck, the Gerbers are not all made in USA. Due diligence is needed to get a model made in USA.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 25
Christmas is coming fast, and want to get some of the amazing men in my life a really good hunting knife.
Open to any recommendations, not looking for folding knives.
I really like my cold steel master hunter cpm 3v steel model. My brother has one and we used it to skin and gut 5 or 6 deer before we thought about sharpening it. And we use the knife to cut up the sternum on every one. I bought one after that and dont even keep track kof deer between sharpenings. Every couple of years I sharpen it just to do it.