What is a "glue-in" gun?

Yorkplates

What is a \"glue-in\" gun?

I was just on the Hall (action) site and was reading that their bolt action receivers were for "glue-in" guns. What does that mean? And, what would a "glue-in" gun be in contrast with?

Re: What is a \"glue-in\" gun?

the actions are glued in with epoxy instead of bolted in like normal rifles--takes any stress out of the setup.

they are removed with heat or cold.

HTH,
JB

Is that basically the same as being glass bedded? Does it make the accuracy any less durable? What I mean is, would it be wise to have a hunting rifle that was only a glue-in type receiver. Cold climate be a problem if used for hunting?

...usually "glue-ins" are benchrest rifles, many without recoil lugs, mostly lighter recoiling calibers in heavyweight rifles...as mentioned above, eliminates action screws & subsequent stresses...pretty sure you wouldn't want to rely on glue only for heavy recoiling calibers...thanks

Auburn,
Glue your action into your stock and you wont get it out by normal means, I have heard of benchrest rifles grasped by the barrel being violently swung against a bench and the stock breaking before the glue in gave way. The heat involved to remove a glue in will destroy stocks and often bluing jobs as well.
Some people will say that on a bench gun, for ultimate accuracy a glue in is the best way. For all the hassle involved, on a hunting rifle, conventional bedding is much more practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[ QUOTE ]
Auburn,
Glue your action into your stock and you wont get it out by normal means, I have heard of benchrest rifles grasped by the barrel being violently swung against a bench and the stock breaking before the glue in gave way. The heat involved to remove a glue in will destroy stocks and often bluing jobs as well.
Some people will say that on a bench gun, for ultimate accuracy a glue in is the best way. For all the hassle involved, on a hunting rifle, conventional bedding is much more practical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all -- dont bother with less than a BR application with a light recoiling round

2nd--who in the hell would swing their BR rifle against a bench to remove the barreled action /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ***?

3rd, the heat is applied with an iron to the reciever--bluing and bedding are fine. the action expands and breaks the bond, problem solved.

JB

jb1000br
Boths of these practices are described in the book: The Ultimate In Rifle Accuracy by Glen Newick, except i got the swinging of the gun wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Its actually holding onto the stock and slamming the barrel onto the bench! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I am not familiar with techniques used in applying heat to release actions from glue ins and accept your broader knowledge on the subject, but i was only stating what i have read.
I too would not like my BR gun to be slammed against a bench, in fact i would'nt like with any gun.

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.