what gun is this?

citizen1922

ok I just got this gun and all I know is that it is a 378 weatherby,I can find no markings on it not even a serial number is it under the stock? anything anyone can tell me about this gun would be helpfull.thanks guys. my gun foto page.

Not a weatherby expert by any means but I will give you my thoughts since no one else is. I would guess it's a pre-64 or 65. The only action that Roy Weatherby ever made for himself was the Mark V (still built in US but the Vangaurd is a HOWA action out of Japan). Maybe someone who owns one can give you some opinions.

My all time favorite action, congradulations you have a commercial FN action on your rifle and it looks like someone tried to copy (and did a good job)of what is known as the California style stock, (aka Weatherby)Be warned this style stock with that ctg. has been known to kill on both ends! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The serial number will be found on the bottom of the action at the rear of the recoil lug, once in a great while they were stamped on the side of the reciever rail.

Well looked in both spots for a SN but no luck ,as fa as the stock goes is this not a weatherby? was told it was "custom" did weathery make custom rifles?
thanks.

a MASSIVE RECOIL rifle "378" worse recoil a ever felt was from the mighty 378 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. What does that thing weigh?

I'm also no Weatherby expert, but I can say that this does appear to be either a commercial FN mauser or a licensed copy. My Dad tells me that Roy Mauser started with FN Mauser actions before designing and building his own. I suspect you have an early rifle. If you could post more pics of the bolt out of the gun and perhaps the whole action I could maybe do a bit more research on it.

OK, added several pics of the rifle and the bolt outside the rifle,and about the weight I would guess about 10 pounds
but that is just a guess.well thanks again guys.
guns link

After looking at your new pics I can tell you that is not a Yugo action but an FN. Yes Weatherbys early rifles where built on Enfield, Springfields and Mauser action! All will have the SOUTHGATE address stamped on the barrel and or the action. This rifle is a commercial FN magnum action, It has the notch for the bullet nose on the reciever ring the reciever bridge is cut back and if you have it out of the stock you will see that the reciever bridge is undercut from the bottom. No serial number is a dead giveaway that this is an early inport action as they where not required to have a serial number untill the 1960's. Many times we see the numbers that were stamped were vary shallow, the actions came in the white and polishing before bluing took them out if they were their to start.I know that this will fall on death ears for many, but here goes anyway.On page 140 of Stuart Otteson's book, "THE BOLT ACTION" you will find the start of the chapter on the mark V action on page 142 2nd paragraph you will find that once production was phased out from West Germany in 1972 the actions there was a one year overlap with J.P. Sauer& Sohn and the actions that HOWA Machinery Co., Ltd of Nagoya, Japan Supplied. Four to five thousand action were made in California only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well I guess this is a good thing, anyone have an idea on what a rifle like this one would be worth?..I want to see if I got robbed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did anyone else CRINGE when they saw the bipod stuck to THE BARREL!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...It is well padded, I just could not put it on the stock it is just to nice of a stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt really matter if you want to hit what you are aiming at.

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.