What hiking style boots

Brent21

Ok newer to the site and I'm in Tennessee and will primarily hunt here, however I have my Mucks for wet days, and I also have a light pair of hiking boots. For my next pair of boots I'm looking at two different boots from Schnee's. I'm looking at their insulated Beartooth II which has 200 grams of insulation or their Granite Extreme which has 600 grams of insulation. These boots will be for late season white tail, and or Elk hunting out west. I feel that these boots will hold up for long hunts out west and still perform well in flat TN. Thanks in advance for your thought and input.

Ok newer to the site and I'm in Tennessee and will primarily hunt here, however I have my Mucks for wet days, and I also have a light pair of hiking boots. For my next pair of boots I'm looking at two different boots from Schnee's. I'm looking at their insulated Beartooth II which has 200 grams of insulation or their Granite Extreme which has 600 grams of insulation. These boots will be for late season white tail, and or Elk hunting out west. I feel that these boots will hold up for long hunts out west and still perform well in flat TN. Thanks in advance for your thought and input.
Weight and comfort are the things to consider. Walking up a a couple thousand feet in elevation on a ridge down a saddle, off fingers or benches down a game trail, glassing this and glassing that, I don't like heavy boots. I usually wear the merrel chameleons. They fit well and I don't get hotspots on my feet, especially when it's 110 degrees during the summer archery season.
For snow that's a different story so I'd look at the environment you plan on walking around in.

First consider the terrain, and then climate you will be hunting in. Warm relatively flat terrain is totally different on feet than steep cold snowy conditions.

Second, consider your feet. If they are wide, narrow, long or short you have particular challenges. If you need orthotics you have another set of challenges to complicate matters more.

My situation is as follows: Hunting elk in NE Utah in October, steep rocky terrain, snow and lots of obstacles hiking 5 to 10 miles a day. My feet require orthotics, are narrow and long (13's). I am looking for money to get another pair of Merrell Custom Boots and new insoles, I have a worn out pair of both.

Depending on what time of year you are heading west will help determine what insulation you may want. Which ever one you end up with make sure they are broke in when you go for elk. Nothing worse than boots not broke in and trying to cover lots of ground.

Danner makes boots that you can actually hike in and once they are broken in you won't have to worry about blisters. Diemmes are another good option in the price range. I would avoid anything with a leather sole and a non-hiking insole unless you want your feet numb and bruised by the end of a day of hiking

Another vote for Merrell! Love my two pairs. Just like wearing bedroom slippers!!

BW

I have the Keen Pittburg. Warm, dry and relatively light. I also toss on a pair of Gaiters if I'm In snow and I'm good to go.
For warmer/dry season, I have a pair of Merrell Moab's that are great.

Keep in mind when you walk you sweat then when you stop and sit your feet get cold.
I have found I do better with UN-insulated boots and adjust my socks?
Agree and some of us do not sweat much, and others like me sweat profusely, even in winter time. One reason I avoid insulated boots even for winter use in Utah mountains

i hunt in Danner Pronghorns until the snow gets too deep then I go to my Hoffmann's. I use a liner sock that takes moisture away from my foot and then a thick sock for comfort and warmth. they are waterproof, Get the 400 gram thinsulate. There is no break in period on a Danner pronghorn and I've never had a blister. They have a wide toe box and it fits my short wide foot. Usually run around 180$.

Your feet will tell you what they like, but on some of the 400$ boots you find that out on a hunt later that they are just not the best boot for your foot, and you are out $.

i hunt in Danner Pronghorns until the snow gets too deep then I go to my Hoffmann's. I use a liner sock that takes moisture away from my foot and then a thick sock for comfort and warmth. they are waterproof, Get the 400 gram thinsulate. There is no break in period on a Danner pronghorn and I've never had a blister. They have a wide toe box and it fits my short wide foot. Usually run around 180$.

Your feet will tell you what they like, but on some of the 400$ boots you find that out on a hunt later that they are just not the best boot for your foot, and you are out $.
Your feet will tell you what they like, and most peoples feet are somewhat unique. Boots that fit are they key

I have to say that my Beartooth II by Schnee's work for me. Stiff at first but they have a ton of ankle support. If I make a change it would be buying aftermarket insoles. Which is something I would do for any boot I buy. This is something I feel more people should do is find the best insole for their feet.

If your choice is between 200 and 600 gr of insulation. Go for the 200 gram because it sounds like you will be doing most of your hunting in Tennessee and the 600 will be too much. The 200 will still be fine if you go out west and hike in snow unless you plan on hours of sitting.
I have a pair of Danner and a pair of Kennetrek. Both are nice but if the weather is cold and wet the Kennetrek is my go to boots and if there is steep climbing where support is important the Kennetrek is still my choice. Danner is good gut is not even in the same league.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.