What do you put over your muzzle brake?

At a nickel a piece why not change it as required? Bring a pocket full afield and call it good. :rolleyes::D:cool:

True and I have, but I 've had the end over the muzzle break a couple of time while on the move and I didn't realize 'til sometime later--with the barrel unprotected for sometime...not my idea of good protection.

Found some 1.5" e-tape at the hardware store yesterday that will work just fine and provide much better protection.

Found some 1.5" e-tape at the hardware store yesterday that will work just fine and provide much better protection.

Good to know they make a wider version in case I someday purchase a mega-muzzle brake with ports too large to be covered with the standard 3M electrical tape.

In my experience, two wraps criss-crossed over the end of the muzzle are required to endure the rigors of my hunts. I often find that the outer tape layer is becoming compromised, but I've never had both layers separate and allow trash into my bores. The tape covering the ports along the sides and on the top of the brakes seem to be good to go with just the single layer of tape. The end of the muzzle brake is the point that seems most susceptible to damaging the electrical tape.

Sounds like you've got it whipped!

Good to know they make a wider version in case I someday purchase a mega-muzzle brake with ports too large to be covered with the standard 3M electrical tape.

In my experience, two wraps criss-crossed over the end of the muzzle are required to endure the rigors of my hunts. I often find that the outer tape layer is becoming compromised, but I've never had both layers separate and allow trash into my bores. The tape covering the ports along the sides and on the top of the brakes seem to be good to go with just the single layer of tape. The end of the muzzle brake is the point that seems most susceptible to damaging the electrical tape.

Sounds like you've got it whipped!

Yep, I think that's about the best I'll be able to do. The cots are a great idea as long as you never contact much of anything. Maybe there's some heavy duty cots out there??

Yep, I think that's about the best I'll be able to do. The cots are a great idea as long as you never contact much of anything. Maybe there's some heavy duty cots out there??

Jmden,

You can try the reinforced finger cots for 3 times the cost of a regular. I do not have any experience on them but they are available. Just google reinforced finger cots for the sources, i.e., Grafco Reinforced Latex Finger Cots, Medium, Box of 144

Just for clarification, are you looking for muzzle brake protection that you can shoot through it without removing it? If you have the time to take them off before firing, I might have something that is at least 100 fold stronger than that of the finger cot. Let me know.

Ed

ADDED:

Just finished reading my latest F&S magazine I ran into this ...

http://barrelguards.com/

Last edited:
I got these from my gunsmith when he sent a rebarrel back

DSCN0946.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

DSCN0948.jpg

he said they were using them in the military overseas

I like the looks of those. But not the cost. Might be a good option though if standard 3M electrical tape won't cover the muzzle brake. If I buy one roll of 3M tape, I can cover my barrel many times. Much more than the 6 units supplied in this package of muzzle covers.

I carry a used roll of 3M tape in my pack, so I don't carry the weight of a full roll, for purposes of replacement out in the field.

But here's a tip for those using electrical tape. After the first two strips are used to criss-cross the muzzle and brake, the third piece I use to strap the four loose ends securely to the barrel is left long enough so that I can unravel it after shooting, and re-use it to criss-cross cover the muzzle bore and brake again, until I get back to my backpack or camp in order to get some more tape. That way, even if I carry no additional tape with me, I can shoot the rifle at game once, and still have the third strip for reuse, since the third strip is behind the brake so it's never damaged by the muzzle blast. Unravel the third strip, tear it in half, and then criss-cross over the muzzle. Good to go again!

I've mentioned the 3M tape here several times because it remains sticky enough to cover my brakes and muzzle - even without the use of the third strap wrapped around the barrel behind the brake. Some of the discount electrical tape I've tried tends to come loose. gun) gun) But I use to the third strap so I can recover my muzzle brake, after I've fired on the target animal.

I don't use a brake but I've used balloons for years. The thick heavy ones work best . The little necks hold them in place. Throw a half dozen in the pack and they'll be there for years. Buy a bag of 50 and it will last a lifetime if you don't blow them up and shoot at them.

What I used in the CORP?? We always used a condom..Works great, even after you have shot through it..

Dallas

These are 14 mil and appear very durable. This is the LARGE size: Industrial Finger Cots . This model appears to me to be the best combination of things I'm looking for, given the options on this site.

Above was from a post from about a year ago. I've been using these on my Slim 3 Port Painkiller brake this year. Very durable. Have wacked 'em on stuff this year that would've shredded others on the market. Just shot a 26" Muley this morning (only 350, but had to take a neck shot or it woulda been a Texas heart shot) and the bullet went very close to where I intended.

Mine came in a bag of 300, so I've got a few to sell off if folks are interested....

Pix at: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/tape-end-barrel-76012/index9.html#post722791 Post #59.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.