What muzzle brake are you using??

300whinny

Hi
I am putting togther my 338 Lapua Magnum based on a Surgeon XL action and a McMillan A5 stock.

I have been researching muzzle brakes, and at the moment I am considering the Patriot Arms type. I am not interested in the clam style brakes, but rather the ones that have the same contour as the barrel.

I am after the most efficient brake for reducing recoil, and I am not worried about how loud it is.

I figure the best way to choose a muzzle brake is to listen to the people that use them. Better than browsing the web and looking at images of them!

Can you give the brand of brake, the caliber your shooting, weight of the rifle, and what you perceive the recoil to be equivalent too.

Cheers
300whinny

Hi search the threads on the site their is one offered by Shawn at defensive Edge and it is awsome and their is also another that has been advertised on the site that has >>> shaped ports that should work very well also.

Cheers Bill
Australia

the second brake is made by a member here that goes by
308Nate , I'm having one of his brakes put on a 260 as we speak. The desgine of his baffels amke for a pretty large serface area so it should be a very effective brake

We use Vias, We have had them on a 6mm/284 and currently on a .338 lapua, and a 6.5/284.

I have no experience with others that make them on here, but find it hard to believe that they can come any better. The .338 lapua weighs about 20lbs based on a Montana action/ A5 stock and it doesnt even kick, more of a push really. My father harvested his 6 point elk at 780 yards with this rifle this year(awesome rifle). The muzzle blast isnt so bad either. The 6.5 is just a pleasure to shoot as you could imagine with a brake.

Some prefer "tactical brakes" against the vias because when they are laying prone the vias will kick up some dust versus a brake that doesnt (tactical), I have yet to have this problem but havent been in any extremly dusty areas yet?

Other like Holland, defensive edge, etc all make reputable brakes, good luck.

im having an holland put on a 338-378 improved. cant tell you how it works untill i get to touch a round off through it though.

I just searched and found teh picture of 308_nate's muzzle break. It sure does look good!

I have one question however.

In the picture below, the ports are angled forwards. Would you get better recoil reduction with them angled the other way so it would be trying to pull the rifle forward?
ssgVbrake2.jpg

I think my 338LM will weigh around the 20lb mark, and would like the recoil to be around teh 308 amount, or better if that can be achieved.

Cheers

The only way your gonna get the "pull" with the brake like some of the 50BMG's get is with a brake that angles the ports back tword you so the gas is directed to the rear instaed of out to the sides 90 deg from the bore.
Some brake makers state that their brake is quieter than others because they angle the ports to the front so the blast is directed away from the shooter somwhat.
I persoanly don't think that Nate's desgine would be more effective if the ports were angled the other way , you would end up with the same surface area to catch and redirect the gas.
Now if he made the ports the other direction and could make some sort of rear draft to the cut so the blast was angled back tword the shooter it would make a super effective brake but its gonna be loud and the guys at the rage will probably hate you!!
I shot a Robar RC-50 a few times that an uncle owns and its brake is desgined like I just described and the recoil on that thing is very light compaired to a few others I've shot and the brake is very slim comaired to others.
Another option would be to try and get one of the Brakes that Armalite sells , its supposed to be the most effective one out their for the big 50's
But with a gun that weighs in the 20lb range it ain't gonna take much brake to bring the recoil down to the level your looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.