What power do you like to use on your scope?

Planenut

I always seem to like the highest power available, even at 100 yards when I am at the range and trying to make a small group. For me this is 22x from my nightforce NXS.

I know when hunting, you lose field if view but sometimes wonder if this is a mistake to use the highest power.

What am I giving up if anything?

Thanks

It is all relative to shooting conditions at the time. I like the highest power that I can clearly see my target. The old saying, "You can only shoot what you can see" is really true.

I shoot the highest power (18) even at 100 I think its made be a better long range shooter for the fact that higher power amplifies movement so shooting at highest power trained me to shoot very small groups with amplified movement

I've got a bunch of different top powers on my scopes so I settle on 16x for spot and stalk hunting. When I'm target shooting or in one place I'll turn up my scope as I need to.

Planenut,

I always "carry" onthe lowest power setting. I hunt in the timber a bit and prefer to be ready for the lose shot. At longer ranges, I'm generally afforded the time to "crank-up" and prepare for the shot! memtb

Im the same as planenut. lowest power while hunting. Never know how far away the game is. On my NXS 5.5 is plenty of power for most shots out to 200 yards on the game that I shoot. When down the range I wind up the power until I'm happy with the fill of the cross hairs on the paper target square or whatever the target shape is.

It depends on the situation. If I'm walking, it's on the lowest power in case I jump something up. If something appears several hundred yards away, I usually have time to turn up the power. If I'm sitting and looking way out there, it's usually somewhere in the middle in case something appears close. Again, I have time to turn it up if something appears way out there. If I have time, I always shoot with my scope on the highest magnification that the yardage allows.

Same as most -- it depends. If I'm punching paper, I crank it up as high as it'll go. If I'm out hunting, I turn it down as LOW as it will go -- in case I find a mountain lion up close. It could sure be a disaster if the scope was cranked up and I couldn't find my target in a real hurry.

Re: What power do you like to use on your scope

Like others you have to have it on low power when moving. Hunted enough coyotes to learn that lesson. For any sort of shot at range I've always had plenty of time to put in ear plugs and dial the scope up.

It is all relative to shooting conditions at the time. I like the highest power that I can clearly see my target. The old saying, "You can only shoot what you can see" is really true.

This is my exact feelings on magnification.

Hunting
Always on lowest when walking - go to high if time for a closeup and always seem to end up between 5-8 on magnification when it's time for the shot.

Shooting range
Mostly on highest but try different settings for impact.

I said earlier that I stay on 16x no mater the scope unless the scope doesn't go to 16x; my reason.... I have been using 16x for so long I can mentally judge range better if I stay there than if I am at the top or bottom x of the scope. If I'm under 100 yards I'll point the rifle to fur and pull the trigger; if over 100 yards or so I'll be able to get the critter in the scope easily even at 16x.
The ability to judge range with a scope is virtually lost on many hunters today as range finders have taken over so totally. A fixed x scope offers you the ability to know the distance the critter is from you by knowing how much a reticle subtends at a certain range and comparing to the animals' dimensions. The alternative is to use the same magnification no matter the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.