Votes: 32 32.3%
  • Dewey

Votes: 68 68.7%
  • pro-shot

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • others [ please say on thread to what you use]

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters
I use a Tipton rod and a cheap MTM bore guide that I need to replace.

For real cleaning- copper and carbon- I use Wipe Out and let it sit overnight, no need to brush anything once the barrel is broken in. For quick cleaning of powder and carbon on the range I use MontanaXtreme.

I also use MontanaXtreme cleaning jags.

I think you may have worded your question wrong. I mostly use Dewey rods because they were the best available locally at the time I purchased them.

I would swap them all for a smaller selection of the carbon fiber rods. Steel rods can get bent. Fiber rods can't, they are either dead straight or broken.

Hi there Jamie,

O.K. I'm going to be the 'odd-one-out' here and I say I've ordered a carbon fibre Hoppes Elite custom rod set. Has anyone else here had experience with the Hoppes elite range of rods?

I've just started using the elite cleaning fluid, they call it Gun Cleaner and I've found it very good - cleaned the brass from the bolt head very well. Interesting, the Hoppes #9 solvent and Benchrest copper solvent were not so effective at that particular job. But, you have to consider each of these were designed for other tasks.

You can see them here: Elite Cleaning Rod System.

Cheers.

im after a new cleaning rod and jag and brushes and wanted to no what make rods you use on here ? and are the carbon,steel,steel with nylon coating ?

also what sort of cooper remover or powder remover do you use ? :)

thanks for all your replays lads :) one my thing i would like to ask what
do you put anything on your bolts to greese them up and keep the chamber where the bolt go's greesed ? :)

and could you use abit of this greese on the thread end for the screwcut to keep it and the mod thread greesed.

what stuff do you lads use for that ?

thanks for all your replays lads :) one my thing i would like to ask what
do you put anything on your bolts to greese them up and keep the chamber where the bolt go's greesed ? :)

and could you use abit of this greese on the thread end for the screwcut to keep it and the mod thread greesed.

what stuff do you lads use for that ?

After I clean my bolt, I lightly grease the bearing surface of the bult lugs. Then I wipe 80% of that grease back off with a cleaning patch, this leaves a VERY thin/light grease film on the bearing surface. I lightly oil the body of the bolt with BreakFree oil, then I try to wipe it ALL off with a soft cotton cloth.

Hope that helps,

AJ

+ whatever on the Dewey rods and jags, with custom bore guides.

I have 3 Parker Hale rods and as nice as they are, the coating is too soft and will rip, as 2 of mine have - and that's using a bore guide too.

I have had my 1-piece J.Dewey coated fiberglass cleaning rod for over 15 years now. I first started using them when I worked at the gun store when I was in high school. After about 6 months of using their's, I was hooked, and bought my own. Years later, I picked up a couple of Pro-Shot stainless (uncoated) 1-piece rods (one for .22+ and one for my .17 HMR's). I still have all 3 of them, and still use all 3 of them. All have their merits, and I cannot find a negative thing to say about either brand.

I will say that I am a bit brand-loyal to using Pro-Shot brushes, jags, and patches. I also use Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV and RemOil to clean my barrels.

A long Dewey rod and several custom 1 pc Stainless rods with bore or chamber guides.

I also have a couple of Swiss kits that get used in the field.

One of the stainless rods does double duty as either a loading rod for several muzzle loaders and as a wiping stick with a bore mop.

I have always used a good grease on the bolt lugs and with my M14 and M1 Garand and race guns.

Ballistol has become my goto cleaner and lube for the most part.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts