What dies should I buy?

Redding FL S-die with appropriate bushing and a Forster Ultra Micrometer seater. Remove the expander ball and rely on the proper bushing for desired bullet pull. Since you have a. bolt gun, size case so that you have a slight resistance when closing bolt which will center case in the chamber by having the case shoulder contact the chamber walls, this will be the approximate size of the fired case. If you just want to neck size then go with Wilson's neck die, Wilson's Seater die and a K&M arbor press. I shoot the Grendel in MSRs so I full-length size with minimal set back to facilitate proper feeding and I use a Hornady standard set and a Forster Ultra seating die.

I have experience with standard RCBS and Redding type S bushing dies. I'm not entirely sure the later are necessary, as by improving some of my brass prep skills, I've achieved more than acceptable results with standard RCBS dies. I've noticed that I'm able to achieve consistent .002 neck tension, and while run-out isn't controlled as well with the cheaper die, it's easy to correct with my concentricity gage. I usually save the money now for other stuff and just go with the standard die. Just my .02

This is something I need to know! Can you tell me your procedure for measuring that you get that consistent neck tension? Can you control that tension by changing your process?

FYI, my Sinclair gauge measures Concentricity, but can't correct it. I also have a Redding gauge to measure neck thickness to sort my brass, but nothing to trim necks.

Thanks for any info.

Hornady makes a concentricity guage that adjusts runout and does a good job. You would have to buy a neck turning tool, there are several great threads on here that go into which tools are liked the most.

Buy the FL bushing die. Then if you want to neck size only buy Skip Otto's shims from Sinclair. They come in various thickness and allow you to keep the die set to FL; the shim you use determines how far down the case will be sized.

View attachment 181652

Just when I think I have it figured out, LOL! Wouldn't these work with a non-bushing FL sizing die?

I don't know, I have Redding, RCBS, and Lee standard sizing dies (with neck sizing dies I've never used), and Forster micrometer seating dies. I FL resize for my semi-autos, and for bolt rifles just go down the case enough to bump the shoulder when needed.

I'm sure I could be doing something better (?) but didn't want to mess with bushings or special die setups for each rifle.

I am preparing to reload for a CZ 527 Varmint MTR in 6.5 Grendel. I am looking at dies sets, and have already decide on neck dies instead of full length resizing. My question is: Is the price jump from standard the standard Redding Neck die set to the Type S match die set worth it? For someone like me who is a relative novice at precision shooting and reloading, shooting a factory rifle.

Gees, am I the only one using Hornady dies and presses? Hornady FL dies with their quick in and out system is a great time saver.
To address the question: Any die will do the job. It's all in the fine tuning of the set up.

Get the Sinclair concentricity gauge and a Tru-tool bullet straightener, please do not get the Hornady (I have both). Neck tension is adjusted by the diameter of the hole. The simple answer is to measure the neck of a loaded round and subtract the neck diameter of a sized case. The different bushings allow you to move this reference number up or down depending on the sized diameter of the case. This gives you a reference for the amount of pressure the case neck exerts against the bullet.

Gees, am I the only one using Hornady dies and presses? Hornady FL dies with their quick in and out system is a great time saver.
To address the question: Any die will do the job. It's all in the fine tuning of the set up.

Imo the Forster Co-Ax press addresses the in/out speed and is better than any press from Hornady. I believe Hornady also sells conversion kits for their in/out system so they can be used on any press.

To the OP, I also have a Grendel in both bolt gun and gas gun. My die collection pretty much consists of Redding Competition 3 die sets. They have a micrometer bushing die, a body die (because you will eventually need to bump the shoulders back plus you'll need it in the gas guns for reliable feeding) and the micrometer seating die. I also have a few Forster seater dies and I actually find them slightly more accurate and repeatable on seating depth. If I were looking to buy a complete set of dies I'd spend the extra $$ and get the Redding premium dies. These come with a neck bushing die, full length bushing die and micrometer seater die.

To confuse you even more I recently purchased a Lee collet sizing die and a mandrel die to compare runout on each.

I recently purchased my first set of Whidden dies with a full length bushing die and micrometer seater. They look to be quality so we will see if they are worth the price.

Great responses. I always learn about new tools & techniques on this forum. In response to Dan223's question, start slow. Watch EBAY & other trading sites. You'll be able to buy quality equipment with some cost savings. I've been reloading and shooting competitively for over 60 years. When I started in the 50's with my dad, RCBS was his choice. Up until about 2000, we never took a shot at game over 400 yards. Now we shoot game up to 800 yards with consistent 1 one kills. For the long range shooting, I'm a Redding and Forester fan. I use a Forester COAX press with Redding Competition seating dies ONLY for seating bullets. I don't overstress my COAX seating press for resizing. I use a Redding BOSS or my RCBS RockChucker press for resizing. I use a Hornady AP progressive press for pistol reloading and a MEC 9000 Grabber for trap shooing ammo. For a beginner, the RCBS RockChucker press is a great place to start. You can' t go wrong with basic $40 RCBS, Redding, Hornady, or Lee Dies. If your interest grows, you can upgrade to more expensive, precision dies and the techniques that have been mentioned here. Sites like EBAY provide a great place to get cash our of items when you need $$ to upgrade. I buy the $200 die sets for my long range shooing, Lapua brass if I can find it, Berger VLD bullets, and temperature insensitive powders. I also weigh and sort brass, anneal the cases after each firing, maintain consistent case dimensions by trimming, and check runout with my Sinclair Concentricity Guage. That's all overkill for reloading hunting ammo for shots inside 400 yards. Welcome to our world!!! Recruit new shooters and nurture love of our sport to protect the 2nd Amendment!!

For the 6.5 Grendel gas gun shooters who are looking for SB dies. They are available from RCBS but are not known as 6.5 Grendel. RCBS identifies them as .264 LBC AR SB T/C die sets.

Bushing dies work best with custom tight neck chambers and neck turned brass.

If you have a standard off the shelf Factory rifle with a SAAMI chamber your necks can expand a good deal.

If you neck turn your brass the case neck will expand even more when fired in a SAAMI chamber.

The more you reduce the neck diameter with a bushing die the greater chance of inducing neck runout.

The Redding bushing die FAQ tells you if the necks are not turned and the neck thickness varies .002 or more to use the expander that comes with their bushing die.

You can take any brand full length die and remove the expander your sized cases will be as concentric as they ever will be. And then use a expander die to expand the necks to help reduce neck runout.

You can achieve the same thing with a Forster full length die and only need to size the case once.

The quality and uniformity of your cases has a good deal to do how concentric your sized cases will be.

If you use one brand of brass you can have Forster hone the dies neck to your desired diameter. And this will work the neck of the case less and it will be more concentric than using a bushing die.

I have Forster full length dies and get less neck runout than using bushing dies or a Lee collet die.

Many things benchrest shooters do to their cases will have little effect in off the shelf factory SAAMI chambers.

And if you lube the inside of your cases neck and polish the expander you will have far less pull on the case neck. And the design of the Forster full length die prevents the expander from pulling the neck off center and inducing neck runout.

Below on my Redding dies i installed modified Forster expander and spindle units to reduce runout and drag.

kWbieba.jpg

On my RCBS dies I replaced all the expanders with Forster expander and spindle units to reduce runout.

5kfnKwd.jpg

Last edited:
Bushing dies work best with custom tight neck chambers and neck turned brass.

If you have a standard off the shelf Factory rifle with a SAAMI chamber your necks can expand a good deal.

If you neck turn your brass the case neck will expand even more when fired in a SAAMI chamber.

The more you reduce the neck diameter with a bushing die the greater chance of inducing neck runout.

The Redding bushing die FAQ tells you if the necks are not turned and the neck thickness varies .002 or more to use the expander that comes with their bushing die.

You can take any brand full length die and remove the expander your sized cases will be as concentric as they ever will be. And then use a expander die to expand the necks to help reduce neck runout.

You can achieve the same thing with a Forster full length die and only need to size the case once.

The quality and uniformity of your cases has a good deal to do how concentric your sized cases will be.

If you use one brand of brass you can have Forster hone the dies neck to your desired diameter. And this will work the neck of the case less and it will be more concentric than using a bushing die.

I have Forster full length dies and get less neck runout than using bushing dies or a Lee collet die.

Many things benchrest shooters do to their cases will have little effect in off the shelf factory SAAMI chambers.

And if you lube the inside of your cases neck and polish the expander you will have far less pull on the case neck. And the design of the Forster full length die prevents the expander from pulling the neck off center and inducing neck runout.

Below on my Redding dies i installed modified Forster expander and spindle units to reduce runout and drag.

kWbieba.jpg

On my RCBS dies I replaced all the expanders with Forster expander and spindle units to reduce runout.

5kfnKwd.jpg
VERY nice write-up !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.