What dies for reloading 230 bergers?

gaps

I have a RCBS rock chucker supreme reloading kit and I'm not sure what dies will be best for reloading the 230 match hybrid targets. I know in the past with berger vlds people recommended the redding dies but would that still apply with the non vld hybrid shape? Any help/recommendation/experience with these bullets would be welcome!

Thanks.

I have a RCBS rock chucker supreme reloading kit and I'm not sure what dies will be best for reloading the 230 match hybrid targets. I know in the past with berger vlds people recommended the redding dies but would that still apply with the non vld hybrid shape? Any help/recommendation/experience with these bullets would be welcome!

Thanks.

I think the hybrids still have a vld shaped tip, just the ogive is different, but I could be wrong.

If you send 5 sample bullets to RCBS, they will make you a custom seating plug for about $15 plus shipping.

That's good to know, I'll have to give them a call. I'm still interested in hearing what others have used or are using...

I shoot 185 Berger LRBT's in 1000 yard F/Class. I'm leaning towards buying a set of Widden's Dies. They are a little pricey, the $15.00 custom seating plug would be easier on your wallet. I was using a RCBS seater for my 7RSAUM and it was giving me a fit, seating 180 JLK's, so I bought a Forster set and I'm much happier. I learned something, could'a got a new plug.:D

I use the Redding VLD bullet seating micrometer for standard dies, about $35.00. It works great for 210 VLD and 215 Hybrid. I've found the OAL to be more consistent than with the standard seater plug, but he main reason I bought it was to keep from deforming the bullet nose. My concern is if the nose of the bullet is smashed shut it may affect the terminal performance of the bullet. Particularly having the bullet not expand as some have noted on this site. Currently I only load the 300 RUM with VLD bullets, but I will purchase the seater before loading VLD bullets in any other caliber.

Re tipping: I'm still trying it.

I did 500 or so Hornady .338 285g HPBT but have not shot them.

I really like what they did to the OTMs but again have not shot them yet.

My last lot of VLDs didn't "need" it so I skipped it but wish I hadn't.

My Nosler 168 CC were shot out of a armory barrel so.....

I like the concept someone else will probably say "don't waste your time" but .....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.