24” 30 Nosler and 230 Bergers - what FPS?

BAKPAKR

My Remington 700 LSS in 300 RUM just came home from a makeover as a long-throated 30 Nosler. I am planning on shooting 230 gr Bergers (currently have OTMs but I am watching for HTs) or 199 gr Hammer Hunters. With the Bergers, the reason I went with 230s over 215s is that the elk I have taken so far have all been within about 150 yards. Although I want to have the capability to shoot at longer ranges, most of my shots will likely continue to be on the closer side so I thought the 230s might hold together a little better up close.

I have H1000, RL26, and Retumbo. I am using ADG brass for the first time and I have read that it can hide pressure signs. With my 24" barrel, what velocity would you expect I could safely reach with the 230s? BTW, I got to 2830 fps today with H1000, and brass, primer, and bolt lift were all good. Thanks.

I would be interested too. I'm building a 30 nosler with a .215" throat, will be 21"-21.5" though. I plan on running the 215 Berger, might also use the 195 Badlands. The closest elk I have taken since 2016 has been 703 yards, so retained velocity, energy and minimal wind drift is my concern. With the shorter barrel, I think the 215 will be better, but real world numbers will tell the difference.

Honestly, I think it will more come down to availability than anything.

That seems to be about in the ballpark, at least according to QL calculations. I was running some hypothetical scenarios today between a long throated 300 WM, 30 Nosler and a 300 Norma all with 230 Hybrids and N570 powder but with a 26" barrel. Only one to crack 3000fps was the Norma but it was just barely. The results were surprisingly close between the 3.

Recent Posts